FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

Kookie190811
Community Member

Um hi

when I had work and got asked to stay back I thought I would be fine but after like a minute I began to shake and not breath properly and I couldn’t think starlit i was panicking and I didn’t end up staying back as i had a panic attack i know it might seem silly, and then the other day when I had work it was really bad and I had to do many things and i felt I was getting everything wrong and that people were staring at me and judging me and whispering thing that’s when I started to shake and breath less but I had to hid it and at points I felt like I was going to burst and I just wanted to cry. Even at school I find it hard to talk to people and make new friends I just get so awkward and make up things in my mind and start to sweat and get self conscious I know the only things that calm me down is being alone and listening to music or talking to friends but I don’t tell them anything because I feel like I would burden them and I don’t want to ruin the friendship but it has stopped me from ,any things and there are points at night I just lay starting at the dark roof and I get all these overwhelming thoughts and find it difficult to breath and with exams and tests I get bad and I just want it to stop I want to be normal and be able to make friends without feeling like this and do other things in life with not feeling like I’m suffocating.

i mean I’m shaking just writing this and I don’t know. I want it to stop even though I did get help in 2018 it gotten worse.

User260990
Community Member

Hi everyone,

This is the first time I’ve ever logged on to one of these pages before and it’s cool to find people going through the same thing. I find that my symptoms are often hard to differentiate from just a head cold. I regularly experience, headaches and it feels as if there’s pressure between my eyebrows and forehead. I also get that typical churned stomach feeling and IBS like symptoms and my long sighted vision isn’t clear when I’m anxious. I often get hot flushes as well, which triggers a stream of thoughts that I’m unwell which causes me more anxiety.

I’m really struggling at the moment, and I wouldn’t wish these feelings on my worst enemy so I really feel for all of you.
Best wishes to all of you 🙂

I'm in the same boat as you my friend - I've been having regular headaches, constipation & general cold symptoms all week. I've been to the GP about 10 times this week and every time they assure me nothing's wrong, but then something else happens. Hope you can pull through with this buddy! 🙂

BeADodo
Community Member

Hi,

Thought posting in these forums might help with my anxiety/depression.

My biggest symptom is jaw muscle clenching. My jaw has been aching for months now. It has gone through periods over the last 15 years where it comes and goes. I can be sitting at my desk working and notice that while my teeth aren’t touching, my jaw is super tense. When I go to bed, it feels like almost like a grape is stuck in my jaw, from the pain. No idea how to fix it. Massage, heat, ice, physio (on neck and jaw), doesn’t help when it’s this bad. Thinking I may have to get Botox injections or something...

Other symptoms include: eye lid twitches, visual migraines (where it’s like I’m looking at the world under water), skin peeling on my pinkies, ulcers in my mouth, break out in cold sweat, heart/chest shuddering...

artiste9909
Community Member

Might be late to this thread, but normally I would feel headaches, not really painful per se, but feels like pressure and it happens rather randomly and persistently even on days where I feel "less anxious" or "fine".

When my anxiety gets bad, I get the "out of body" feeling where I feel like I am there, but I am not there at the same time. I also would have shortness of breath, slightly faster heartbeat, hot flushes and nausea. The headaches somehow tones down when my anxiety gets bad.

Went to get myself checked out, and got cleared of any heart issues, and most recently went to get a CT scan for my headaches and nothing. Still very anxious at the moment if the DR might have missed something, or the CT did not pick something hidden.

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This past week different symptoms of anxiety have arisen... I'm taking these as signs that I'm healing! ie I'm not getting the full on PTSD triggering, it's calmed about 90% with a lot of help and work.

But this past week has been particularly stressful and I have had numb hands, fingers and arms.

EM

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
i get insomnia... sort of a resistance to sleep. Like i'll stay up just to avoid sleep as I have nightmares on days when i'm very anxious.
Also i think i get a lot of tension in my mouth and jaw, holding a lot of tension.

Hi Everyone and thankyou for your heartfelt posts too!

Hey Kookie190811....User260990.....Egbert97.....BeADodo.....artiste9909 and Sleepy21 🙂

If anyone wants to have a look at my anxiety symptoms they are posted early in this thread...

I also used to grind my teeth when I was 'sleeping' and had a sore jaw for ages....

Kudos to Annabay for starting this excellent thread topic back in 2019 🙂

be gentle to yourselves.....anxiety can be treated

Paul

IllThinkofSomething
Community Member

I normally get intense cold sweats, stomach aches and I find it hard to think straight. The last one is especially true if I'm around a lot of people (like if I'm at school in a classroom) and peoples voices seem to kind of blur together. Listening to music definitely helps me a lot though. : )

I hope everyone is having a great day today!

When I peak with my anxiety I will feel intoxicated or "high" but will be extremely paranoid and anxious like I am having a bad trip, the whole experience feels surreal and otherworldly like my brain is trying to dissociate from the experience but is only enhancing the anxiety.