FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

I have always considered myself an anxious person. High school and university was a very difficult time for me. I constantly felt mentally exhausted and stressed out due to the workload and wanting to perform at my absolute best and I believe that that took a significant toll on my wellbeing. I came out of university recently and I realised that my physical symptoms I am experiencing have been more significant than ever before. They started out with a feeling of slight lightheadedness and dizziness every day, but this was something that I could put up with. More recently though I have been experiencing debilitating headaches that feel like enormous pressure inside my head as well as a tight stiff neck and very sore shoulders. The worst part is that most of the time painkillers do not help me and it does not matter how many massages I have, I will still wake up sore and uneasy the next morning despite a full night of uninterrupted sleep.

I have been seeing a regular GP who has been extremely kind and helpful and I have done a number of tests: blood tests, XRAYs and MRIs and they have all come back negative for any causative factor for the symptoms I am experiencing. I have also gone on to see a physiotherapist and an osteopath as well as seeing a psychologist and talking through what has been going on and how to relieve my symptoms. I am also taking antidepressant medication to combat frequent headaches that haven't really helped. I am still experiencing the pressure headaches and sore muscles that choose when they want to come and go (more frequently than not). I am someone who is able to admit that there is something going on but no one has been able to tell me what exactly that may be and I guess that's because no one really knows. It upsets me that I am constantly letting those around me know that I am experiencing physical pain and sometimes I just feel like a burden. The general feeling of uneasiness and soreness has also taken a toll on my social life as I find that I am scared about going anywhere due to how debilitating the muscle soreness and pressure headaches are.

I hope that everyone is well during this time and I hope this provides some relief to those who are experiencing the same/similar physical symptoms that I am as well as those who may have overcome these symptoms. Please let me know what you did if this is true regarding your situation.

Kind regards and well wishes to all

Hi Dakota18

Welcome and good on you for being so proactive to post too!

Having the awful headaches...sore neck..shoulder muscles would be debilitating Dakota18. You are doing everything possible with your health with having an excellent GP and all of your tests as well..I understand the pain you are going through as I used to have similar symptoms as you experience

Just my humble opinion though my own experience....when we are over sensitized or even going through low level stress/anxiety our shoulder/neck muscles will let us know with the headaches....and yes they can be very painful to have Dakota18. I am also taking antidepressants as well for my anxiety issues

Thankyou so much for your kind post and your best wishes to everyone on the forums 🙂 You are always welcome to start up your own thread topic if you wish as there are many gentle people that can be here for you

my kind thoughts

Paul

Hi Paul
Thanking you for your quick response

Is there anything else that you did or do that you found helpful with regards to the symptoms you feel such as the muscle tension?

Hi everyone!....New members are always welcome to post about their own physical symptoms of anxiety

No worries at all Dakota! To answer your question I have the benefit of a property that is on a steep block of land...so I am always working out by doing landscaping/maintenance on it which keeps me very fit

You are always welcome to start up your own thread topic if you wish Dakota as you will have more replies from members that have a similar set of physical symptoms 🙂

my kind thoughts.....Paul

Blufftuff
Community Member

I forgot to mention some of the physical feelings I feel and they are shaking (so Bad can even hold a cup of coffee)

The other is a fear that I have forgotten my medication and I spend all the time worrying that I will have a seizure which never happens, as I have taken my Medication.

Even though this is only a thought not a feeling It consumes me making it feel real.

Mil
Community Member

Hi Dakota18,

I get a lot of headaches as well as muscle tension when I work at a desk all day. Is this your case? If so, I've found it helpful to schedule regular 10-15min breaks (at least one in the morning and one in the arvo on top of your lunch break) where I get away from the screen, get up from my chair, do a bit of stretching, move my head/arms in slow circles and such. As well as something nice like listening to a nice song, making myself tea... It really helps relax both mentally and physically.
When I manage to stick to it, it makes a huge difference both to my well-being and my productivity. I also have some eyesight issues so it's really important that I don't stare at the screen all day without interruption - our eyes are not actually made for this and it can lead to serious headaches, back pain etc.
If you (like me) find yourself "planning" to do the breaks but not actually doing them, try putting alarms on your phone or if you have anyone living/working with you, schedule the breaks with them!
I hope it helps, wishing you the best!

Mil

calmseeker
Community Member

Hi all,

Popping in to this very helpful thread for 2 reasons. Firstly, I seem to have fallen into the terrible trap again of visiting Dr. Google instead of my real life GP! I refrained from doing this for quite some time and my health anxiety definitely improved when I stopped googling symptoms. I always recommend to other health anxiety sufferers not to excessively google, and I need to take my own advice and stop googling again! Dr. Google may be great for some things but seems to throw up MS when anxiety symptoms are entered into symptom checker. As I have had a recent MRI, I know I don't have MS. This thread is so helpful to remind me that there are certainly some weird and wonderful symptoms of anxiety!

Secondly, I would like to use this space for a quick shout out to Paul blondguy who does a brilliant job of as the caretaker of this thread. Paul, your responses to people on these forums are always so compassionate and kind with practical advice that is so helpful. I am sure those who bump into you around the forums agree. Thanks for all that you do Paul 🙂

I hope everyone is being gentle with themselves while managing their anxiety symptoms.

Kindest thoughts to you all, CS.

KAOTiK
Community Member
Hello my problem with anxiety is everytime i try to sleep i wakeup in an attack... To me it feels like the fight or flight feeling and sometimes its that bad that i jump up out of bed all panicked and fully pumped, scares the hell out of me... I also get random out of the blue attacks through the day over nothing that i know of... Does anybody else go through something similar? So mentaly drained... Does anybody know if anxiety if cronic anxiety is covered by DSP?

Hi everyone! New members are always welcome to post about their physical anxiety symptoms too

Hey BT...I hear you loud and clear about the "shakes" as they can be awful to have...can I ask if they happen when you are concentrating doing something with your hands? Always great to see you BT 🙂

Hey KAOTik....Welcome to the forums and great to have you on Annabays thread topic and good on you for having the courage to post too! I understand your anxiety feelings as I used to have the same attacks in my 20's and they can be horrible to have KAOTik. The random 'out of the blue attacks' during the day are also very common yet again are awful to have

KAOTik....just a note if I can through my own experience with anxiety....If your symptoms begin to have a detrimental effect on your day to day ability to function effectively please make a double appointment with your GP...You have everything to gain and nothing to lose by doing so!

Chronic anxiety isnt usually covered by the DSP unless it has interfered with your ability to engage in ongoing employment......(and being able to establish ongoing clinical assistance from a psychiatrist) The criteria to qualify for DSP is complex and detailed. If you wish you are more than welcome to start your own thread as there are many super kind people that can help

The forums are a safe and non judgemental place for you to post!

my kindest.....Paul

Hi Everyone....New members are always welcome to post too!

Hey Calmseeker! You have just made my day with your caring post 🙂 It means more to me than you know. I hope you dont mind me mentioning that I have had anxiety that sometimes results in agoraphobia..ugh!

You are an asset to Beyond Blue and the forums for the TLC you provide CS

my kind thoughts and appreciation

Paul