FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

Thanks blondguy for reply it is very annoying having these thoughts about bowel issues which my system seems to be working fine except brain keeps telling me do you need to go. I know if anxiety is under control i can shrug off the thought but when anxiety hits me the thought is there most of the time. Very frustrating

Hello Goingmad,

I have carefully read your posts and of course blondguys response and it seems he is very passionate about helping people going through anxiety,

having gone through it multiple times myself I only wish I had someone like blondguy helping me through this.

you are in good hands

look forward to seeing more threads

take care and all the best

Ace1988
Community Member

Does anyone else have new symptoms pop up frequently? I have found that once I get my head around a symptom and realise that it I anxiety related, I’m fine for a couple of months, and then suddenly a new one will show up... currently it’s shortness of breath and feeling of a lump in my throat.
its such a crappy feeling! It’s worrying and the feeling is one that I feel I can’t control. On top of that is stomach problems... as discussed below, now I can sympathise with those that do have gastrointestinal issues relating to anxiety... holy sh*t! (Pardon the pun)

Hi Goingmad.....(I dont think you are!)

No worries...our bowel movements can actually let us know when we are stressed/anxious.....and sure its a difficult symptom yet very common to have...as you have noticed in many of the posts above.....and I understand this is a huge thread to read through. Sometimes we can learn from these awful symptoms....Of course seeing your GP is always a good move if the symptoms continue

Hi Blufftuff.....thankyou for your super caring post 🙂 This is my 37th year with decreasing levels of stress/anxiety yet I also have the same occasional symptom too...I hope you can stick around the forums BT...you are always welcome to provide support to people on the forums if you are comfortable doing so (only if you wish to!)

we are here and listening...

Paul

Does anyone have new or old symptoms of anxiety occurring during the current social distancing guidelines?

Thankyou Annabay for the excellent thread topic...Paul

Kim78
Community Member

Hi

I feel like I want to be sick / dry retching, which can last for a long time. I need to go to the toilet a lot more.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Kim78

Thankyou for being a part of the discussion on these awful symptoms

I also have the frequent toilet habits when I am going through a anxious/stressful time too. You are not alone at all....Whenever you get some spare time, have a sticky at the posts on this thread. There are heaps of people that also require frequent visits to the toilet too! I have heard about the nausea before with the dry retching...that would be awful...I hope you can run this by your GP Kim78 🙂

Our digestive system can be the most sympathetic to any level of anxiety or stress..You are not alone Kim78

my kind thoughts....Paul

Ca8
Community Member

Hello everyone

My symptoms are aligned with a panic attack. Nervousness, hot flushes, feeling I might vomit and just all over PANIC.. I feel this when I am in a situation I feel "trapped in". Currently working from home and recently fell into a bit of a sad overthinking state. Worrying about everything and all the "what ifs" im even starting to create doubts about my long term relationship. Which just seems crazy but I cant get the bad thoughts to go away.

Going to the doctor next week to discuss these feelings. Hopefully will have a good outcome

user-beyondblue_forum
Community Member

Hi Annabay,

Really embarrassingly, I get these kind of thought blocks. so I stop thinking  and so I appear really stupid. Which just makes it all worse. and then after the anxiety goes down, I stew on how embarrassing it is and that makes me more anxious in social situations. I have social anxiety.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Ca8...Welcome and and thankyou for your post too! Working from home in this difficult time is hard work Ca8 as we are used to a more structured workplace...and yes we can overthink sometimes for sure ..There is nothing crazy about your thinking at all Ca8...If you wish to discuss your relationship your are always welcome to post your own thread as there are many super gentle people that can provide support! You are seriously proactive for seeing your doc....You have everything to gain and nothing to lose Ca8

Hi user-beyondblue_forum....Great to have you on the forums and thankyou for your post too! There is nothing embarrassing about having 'thought blocks' as they are very common to have...me included. I understand you when you mentioned having social anxiety as I also have the same thoughts too and they can be a pain!

Just a friendly note...The forums are a safe and non judgemental place for anyone to post 🙂

my kind thoughts......Paul