FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What essential oils are good for anxiety?

Sweesoft
Community Member
I've been reading a lot about how essential oils help with anxiety, stress, and better sleep. Are there specific oils for this?
9 Replies 9

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Sweesoft...

I have a thread on the forums title..” Grounding What is it and how do we”....it has a list of essential oils and how they help us...If you search the title in the search bar..top right of this page..the tread title will pop up then just press on it..your very welcome to add to the conversation on their..

My kind thoughts..

Grandy..

Emmen
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Sweesoft,

I've used lavender for sleep and love it. Apart from that, I've tried peppermint and lemon grass but lavender is still the best.

You could also try candles. I mostly use candles these days and while they're not as strong as essential oils, I still find them relaxing.

Cheers,
M

SunnyPalm
Community Member
Hi Sweesoft,

I have a blend I use called 'stress less' it is a mixture of lavender, peppermint and lemon. I use it with my breathing exercises and now when I smell it, I associate it with being 'calmer'.

I also invested in a ultrasonic diffisuer for night time and have a blend I use called 'sweetsleep' and when I have a really anxious day I out that on before bed and it helps me to relax.

My psychiatrist highly recommendeds a chamomile tea before bed too. So many essential oils out there, you will find one that you love the smell of.

Albertina
Community Member

There are lots of essential oils that are good for anxiety and stress but as you know there is no one fit for all. Here are some essentials oils that help with anxiety.

Valerian oil can make you feel sleepy and relaxed.

Jatamansi oil can help to relieve depression.

Lavender oil is the most popular oil that is used to calm anxiety.

I hope this helps you

Sounds like lavender is the best for calming.

I got to try all the blends that you recommended, and chamomile tea as well.

Dilly2
Community Member

After years of intermittent sleep problems, mainly waking up frequently and taking ages to get back to sleep, I have found a life-changing magnesium sleep lotion which, strangely enough, you rub into the tops of your feet and behind your knees just before you go to bed!

It smells heavenly, contains lavender and chamomile and rubs in immediately with no residue. I haven't slept so well and deeply for a very long time. I still wake occasionally but now 99% of the time I go back quickly and feel refreshed in the morning.

One point - you really need to make sure you have enough magnesium in your system (I took a supplement tablet for a while) for it to work best.

I've been buying online from Amazing Oils but now on my, and other customers' recommendations, our local pharmacist is going to stock it. The reviews are amazing if you look at their website (and I have no relationship with them, just a very happy customer!).

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Sweesoft

Depending on where you are in Australia at the moment (what shops are open), finding an aromatherapy shop has many benefits. Going in and smelling all the testers to see what vibes well with you is beneficial. Being physically emotional creatures, certain scents will trigger different physical emotions within our body. Lavender generally leads our body to feel calmness. Frankincense is one of my all time favorites when it comes to feeling peace. While I'm not sure about lime essential oil for anxiety, it definitely leads the body to feel on a bit of a fresh joyful high. Getting a feel for the scents of oils is an interesting process worth trying if you get the chance. As I say, not sure where you are at the moment. Personally, I'm in Melbourne, which comes with it's challenges indeed.

Everyone has offered you some great tips here. One of the best tips I ever got while becoming pretty obsessed with essential oils is 'It can be a very personal thing, what you vibe with'.

By the way, aromatherapy (smell therapy) comes in many forms. Growing sweetpeas is definitely worth the effort. They produce the most gentle beautiful smelling flower. When I want to get a bit of a high, sometimes I actually go to my spice rack and sniff a bottle of Star anise. It vibes me up. 4711 is one of my favourite perfumes. In my opinion, it's an oldie but a goodie. It was my nana's choice of perfume. The smell of a new car, freshly cut grass, rain beginning to fall on a hot summer's day...the list goes on when it comes to how certain aromas triggers us mentally and physically. Wondering if you've tried 'sound therapy' also, such as ASMR. In the world of sound therapy, in my opinion nothing beats the kind of emotion that is generated by the sound of rain on a tin roof. Peace is definitely a beautiful emotion to feel throughout the body. By the way, one of the all times best ways to feel peace is to have someone gently brush your hair for you. The longer time spent, the better. I suppose this is therapy that relates to the sense of touch. Studies say this actually changes the chemistry in our brain.

Hyperactivity or an excess of energy in motion (stress, anxiety etc) certainly comes with many challenges.

Have fun experimenting with your senses 🙂

JamieHowe
Community Member

Each essential oil is unique and has unique properties. There is no definite classification of essential oils. Still, producers conventionally distinguish two main features, divided into groups.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Sweesoft, this is an old thread but hope you are still checking in on it.

Each oil has it's own psychological therapy, if your belief is that it has powers to work then they will help you.

Geoff.

Life Member.