FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

VERY ANXIOUS ABOUT BLOOD TEST RESULTS FOR ADULT DAUGHTER

HisOwn
Community Member

Hello all..I am seeking support.

I have quite severe health anxiety/PTSD specifically related to past trauma involving my dad getting bad news diagnosis after getting blood tests and other medical tests done as well as other personal traumas that personally happened to me at the same time - going through traumatic sickness in a pregnancy at same time and then medical scares for myself. This was all nearly 24 years ago but I am still greatly triggered by any medical tests.

So my adult daughter who has a disability and I care for full-time had some blood tests done recently, which is a particularly huge trigger for me.

I was hoping that the doctor would not call her back after her blood tests done but she has called back and this has REALLY tipped me over into full on anxiety now and my anxiety is stressing my daughter out now.

I am not 100% sure but the appointment is possibly going to be because of low iron and/or low Vitamin D because she has had this in past because her diet not the best but I won't actually know until the appointment.

So I am wondering how on earth I am going to be able to sleep tonight and get through the next 24 hours. I need to try to stay calm for my daughter's sake but it is near impossible at moment.

So any tips/strategies about how to handle this will be so greatly appreciated. 🤗

6 Replies 6

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear HisOwn~

One of the things I really hate is having to wait. While you probably right it may be vitamin D or low iron (both can be remedied as you know) it does not really make that much difference to how you feel. All the  time there is even a small possibility somethng may be serious that is what the mind will latch on to.

There were times when I did not even have a specific fear of how things might turn out, it was uncertainty and imagined possibilities that got to me.

For me The first thing is exercise, or some form of physical movement. If you are able to go for a walk that's good, however even changing rooms or standing in the doorway looking out can help to ease things. If all else sing or hum along to a YouTube song you like. Anything to get out of  where  you are worrying.

The second thing is a free smartphone app called Smiling Mind

This is a whole bunch of exercises to help take your mind out of your worries and let you concentrate on something else. It has different grades of exercises to suit all sorts. It has one that nags me just often enough to stop my mind wandering off back to the worries.

It  does take some practice before it becomes really effective. Then it is excellent at breaking that endless loop of worry. I practiced because the alternative was worse.

If I have a favorited something - book or TV show perhaps then straight after Smiling Mind there would be a chance with calmer thoughts I could get into it.

Sometimes there may be someone to talk to here in the night, you can try the topic:

Night Owls (for those awake late and can't sleep)

I'm not sure if you have the results by now, I hope they turned out well.

You know you are welcome here anytime

Croix

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi HisOwn,

I can tell it's very stressful, I really understand your feeling.

I hope you'll get a better result than expected.

The current medical level has greatly improved compared with 24 years ago, and many diagnosis and treatment methods are constantly evolving. As a parent you've done a good job, which is to follow right steps to see doctors and do tests. Next, we have to believe that doctors will make the best possible treatment.

Mark

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello HisOwn, I am going through exactly the same and know that the results of a blood test can well be frightening, but realise that unless this is carried out, then the doctor's won't know of any appropriate action that needs to be done.

Alhough my situation could be different than yours as I have cancer, doesn't mean that it isn't any more a worry than yours.

Geoff.

Life Member.

HisOwn
Community Member

Thanks so much Croix..gosh I got myself in such a state over it - but I know its a PTSD trigger so Ive really got to work on that - yes distraction does help - just pulling myself away from the ruminating is the hard bit.

Thanks so much for your advice..really helpful.

Oh and her results were better than expected - just cholesterol a little high - so exercise and diet is all that is needed.

The confusion came because the doctor's surgery receptionist was unsure if it was an urgent call back or not so because there was an appointment the next day we just decided to go find out with doctor..but of course within minutes of the phone call back my anxiety just got out of control and I was thinking the absolute worst.

HisOwn
Community Member

Thanks Mark..the result was indeed better than expected..phew..

You will see in my reply to Croix why I got myself in such an anxious state over it and still trying to settle over it.

Yes medicine is much better than what our ancestors had..but I am still trying to navigate my way through this too because part of the PTSD I have is because of medical errors that caused death so I don't have a huge amount of trust in medical professionals..but have to trust them on occasions like this..

HisOwn
Community Member

Hi Geoff. Thank you..yes waiting is excruciating..I am sorry to hear you have cancer..but I do know that cancer treatments are so much better now than 20 years ago when my father was diagnosed with it..and lots more treatment options now too and so many people do beat it or outlive the disease..I pray you beat it 🙏