FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Throat anxiety

Frustrated mumma
Community Member

Hi guys 

When I get anxious or am starting to have a panic attack I start thinking im either going to swallow my tongue or choke or my throat is going to close up. I honestly have no idea why I have these intrusive thoughts and I have no trauma etc towards that area. Any advice on how to not let it affect me in my throat, tongue etc? I'm so over it

5 Replies 5

Sophie_M
Dear Frustrated mumma

Thank you for showing such courage in posting and sharing your experience. 

It is great to know you feel safe to be able to share your experience here and we hope that you find the support you are looking for.

As you know Frustrated mumma, if you need us, we are always here for you. If you feel you need to talk or honestly just need a chat, please contact Beyond Blue either via phone 1300 22 4636 or web chat: http://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/get-immediate-support

Thank you again for joining us here and for starting this conversation. Please feel free to come back and update us on how you are feeling, if you are comfortable.

Regards

Sophie M

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Frustrated mumma,

I'm sorry to hear how throat anxiety has been impacting you. It's understandable why you would feel frustrated, especially if it seems like it has manifested out of nowhere. 

Something you might try is shifting your focus when these physical feelings come up. Put your attention on something other than your throat like a comfort TV show or some soothing music. I know when I'm feeling anxious, I get nauseous, so to distract myself from the nausea I like watching something or reading a book. When I stop focusing inward, the physical symptoms can ease. 

The best solution however, might be working to reduce your anxiety overall. Speak with your GP and see what they recommend. Speaking to a professional may help you understand why you have panic attacks and identify ways to prevent them altogether. They may also likely be able to help you overcome the throat anxiety and provide more helpful, evidence-based techniques. 

Hope this was helpful, 

Beeee

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Frustrated Mumma,

Im sorry you are feeling this way I understand intrusive thoughts can be difficult to deal with.

Intrusive thoughts are normal to have but when you start to get stuck on them or they start affecting your life then it’s time we intervened with them.

Have you thought about having a chat to your gp about what you are currently experiencing and how it’s affecting your life.

A psychologist can be helpful they can teach you many strategies and teach you how to move through these intrusive thoughts.

A guided meditation is useful for teaching you how to watch your thoughts and not get caught up in them.

Practice keeping your attention in the present moment and remember what we give attention to we give power to.

Thank you all so very much. My doctor left the centre a month ago after being his patient for 9 years so I've been struggling finding a new doctor for my family. I have been utilising the EAP services from work so had my first session the other day and have another on Monday. I am trying to be in the present tonight to ease my concerns about having a repeat of last night. It seems to be a night time thing were the anxiety gets the best of me. Very frustrating 

It certainly sounds very frustrating as others have mentioned try distracting yourself if you know your about to have a panic attack or feeling stressed best thing to do is try to calm yourself down . I’m trying this tonight I had a hot shower after a long stressful day and probably an hour or so later I wasn’t feeling as bad I’m going to try this more often if I’m feeling down or anything stressful pops up . It seems to work for me so it may work for you