FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

thinking what im suffering from

milo75
Community Member

Hi all,

Im 42 yo male, in good health, gym weights have taken loads of training supplements over the years, non smoker, do drink once 2-4 months fairly heavy. Have seen active service in the army in Bosnia 95 and East Timor, 1999/2000. Been prison officer last 8 years, never to my knowledge but maybe was unaware any mental health issues.

About 4 months ago, I was quite tired, lethargic, had some things playing on my mind, I was on my bed trying to have a nap one mid morning, upon waking up I felt like something was wrong, got up went to the kitchen and felt like I was going to faint or die, wife drove me to hospital, all was ok, had all the tests, all good, for 2 weeks after than I was extremely anxious and feeling like utter crap mentally, still went to work and could hardly bear being then, put on a brave face. I was in the city and was that anxious I had to go into a shop, sit for 10 minutes to calm my self down, heart was racing Had an incident at work and my anxiousness and adrenalin went through the roof as that someone asked if i was alright, normally im first in and enjoy hands on scenarios eventually Things blew over and got myself back on track with some meditation...

However last week, I had a couple run ins with staff at work, which really wernt that big of a deal, but for 3-5 days afterwards it really played on my mind, whereas I think about it at night in bed and stew over it, and have noticed alittle more anxious at work

4 Replies 4

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Milo75~

I'd like to welcome you here to the Forum, it's a pretty good move as you get to see what has happened to other people and how they have coped.

Your have had a life which seems to have had a lot of pressure in it, I'm not sure of your roles in those military stints but strongly suspect whatever they were they could be pretty taxing. Being a prison officer is not the easiest of occupations either.

From sound of it you are getting some of the symptoms I had when becoming ill. Tiredness, lethargy, panic attacks and anxious thoughts. I'd hesitate to say you had the same illnesses, I'm not a doctor, but would strongly suggest you see your GP, set everything out and ask to be diagnosed for an anxiety condition. I too have had medical tests for the physical symptoms, all of which came back negative.

I make a huge mistake, which was to keep on going, not realy understanding what was happening and hoping that the problems would do away. I simply tried to have the physical symptoms treated. Eventually I ceased to function and was invalided out of my occupation in the police. That delay not only contributed to the severity of my condition but made it hard to treat long term.

So I'd urge you not to make my mistake and get in early. The quicker the problems are addressed the better the outcome. Most conditions do respond well to treatment.

I had one other great help, and that was my wife, who supported me at a time when I was extremely difficult. I saw you saying your wife took you to the hospital, are you able to talk things over wiht her? It does seem to help and takes a deal of load off.

I hope you continue to post and let us know what you think

Croix

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

It just occurred to me I wrote an message to user PerthFox about coping with Panic Attacks earlier today. You might find something useful there

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/permalink/qqJkXnHzvGGEbv8AAOnT_A

If you copy and paste that link in your browser it should take you there, any hassles sing out.

Croix

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Milo75

Welcome to the bb forum and thank you for sharing your story. I'm sorry it has taken awhile for you to get a response but am thankful Croix has given you such good advice.

I want you to know that I think you are very brave. It's not just your career, but your ability to reach out for mental health advice.

You know something's not right. And the best thing to do is make a double appointment with your GP to talk it through. With the right treatment, most people do recover from depression and anxiety.

You can also review your lifestyle and make some changes if you think it's necessary. Getting plenty if rest, exercise, a healthy diet and social connections are all important to our wellbeing. Making time to do things you enjoy really helps to clear your mind. For me, it's a daily walk with the dog. Don't care how busy I am, it's a priority.

Kind thoughts to you

thanks for everyone replies I feel 99% my old self as I write, this anxiety and low mood, intrusive thoughts ive had for around 2 weeks, for 2 weeks I doubled my exercise HIIT , high cardio, diet is on point, no drinkink for 4 weeks. Am sleeping solid till around 4 am , not tired during the day Im finding accepting this and telling myself its just a thought or feeling and take it, seems to work in moving it on...

From rethinking all my past events and what may have caused the very first episode and now this relapse I now realise both occasions stem from possibly the below.

social anxiety and slighting which refers to being disrespected. In the past ive drunk to intoxication to feel easy at partys, work do's ect i hate large group gatherings, been centre of attention, being scrutinised or judgedct In my present role it involves a lot of people communication ect at which by nature im reserved but open up easily enough in small groups . In the Army I was operating mainly in 4 to 5 man group

Slighting , be described for my situation what triggers me is being felt like ive been disrespected and belittle, humililated at which plays on my mind leading to me plotting an avenge. Something trivial can play on my mind for days...

Im considering seeing a hypnosis expert to alter and work on these short comings.