FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

struggling to handle the 'Bad Days'

kelly91
Community Member

I have depression and anxiety caused by a lifetime of things always going wrong. As of late I have been really good! Ive started my new job (which I am loving) but today feels toxic, I went to the shopping centre and had a panic attack because of the amount of people there, I then yelled at my little cousin because she kept trying to be close to me and all i wanted was space. Now im at home and i feel so alone. My bedside table is filled with different types of pain medication and there is a bottle of wine on  the floor. I find its such a struggle on days like today to stay away from them all but everything is in eyesight. I wish i had friends that understood. no one seems to care. 

4 Replies 4

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Dear Kelly,

What happened to cause the shopping centre panic attack ?   You've been there before ?  With your family / cousin ?  Did the anxiety of the new job trigger something and you suddenly felt closed in by too many people ?   Do you get these a lot ?

When you're half comatosed on your bed, pain medication strewn around, etc, you could say it was you that didn't seem to care.   Yet you project this onto "friends" saying they don't understand and "no one seems to care".   It's a real chicken and egg situation.    But stay home and recover.   There are at least another 130 days (approx) till Christmas.   The shops can wait till your mindset is balanced.

Might be worth explaining to your cousing what happened.   A child wouldn't be able to process the panic attack without some help.   If it's a friendly cousin you don't want to alienate them and get a situation where they're afraid of being with you.

Have a Plan B -  "If it gets to much for me we'll just head back to the car straight away - I don't want to have any trouble today as I'm feeling a bit anxious".

Adios, David.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Kelly, social anxiety causes us to hate the thought of going out and to be with other people, and it then ruins our life to the point of being swamped by a crowd, and their urge to be with us when we don't this to happen.

And because of this is why you didn't want your little cousin to be close to you, but it doesn't mean that you dislike her, I'm sure that you love her, but not at that particular time.

These pain killers must be related to ' a lifetime of things always going wrong', so I am interested as to what has happened to you, just briefly if you like.

I used alcohol as a way to numb my depression, just as many other people may have, but when we wake up the problem is still there, and it could be worse, so it's a vicious circle that goes on from day to day, so it's like we are stamping on the ground in the same spot, and not getting any where.

So the analogy is we have to learn how to get out and run, and by doing this is by seeking professional help.

Kelly we know what you are going through, a lot of us including myself have social anxiety, so that's why I avoid any family get together functions, and with xmas creeping up so quickly it all starts again.

Hope you can reply to us. L Geoff. x

kelly91
Community Member

I love my little cousin but some times it gets too much when she always has to touch me or be close to me, I end up snapping at her and feel guilty afterwards. the saying that goes around 'that will never happen to me' well im the person everything happens to. my mum is a sociopath, brother schizophrenia and my ex boyfriend is a narcissistic. put it all together and my life isnt the best. 

I tried to end my life the other night. The police and ambos came. now everyone is angry at me and im hiding in my room. I have a brusie on my chest where the ambos grabbed me to wake me up and have marks in my arms and hands as the student nurse couldnt put the drip in the right way, Ive ended up worse. 

I dont know how to make things better. Can anyone make any suggestions?

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Kelly, now that you have a job that you love, it would be a good idea to move away from these toxic people, they are only doing harm to you, and this means dropping your boyfriend, all of them are inciting and adding to these bad feelings.

You haven't mentioned about seeing your doctor, unless I have missed something, but you now need professional help. Please keep this tag open and reply to us. L Geoff. x