FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Work Anxiety

Macca96
Community Member

Hi all. I will keep this short and to the point. Recently I started a new job which is quite demanding and it has made me very anxious about deadlines and I worrie I’m not going to perform well. My tummy feels like it’s twisted and I feel very nervous about my work. This started 2 days ago and I haven’t been able to sleep. I can’t stop thinking about work!! Other symptoms include sweaty hands and loss of appetite. Is this GAD? Or am I just being silly? I have a doctors appointment tomorrow. 

29 Replies 29

Hey Macca,

I have the same feelings and thoughts. It's quite difficult to calm yourself when it happens. I have found time with a psychologist helpful. They can teach you methods of focusing on other lifestyle elements (health, family) and help you to view the issues from a different perspective. I often catastrohpise everything and think that the people at work think I'm lazy and not good at my job if things don't go as planned. Im in one of those phases at the moment, which is what brings me here. I try to remember that in 'x' number of years, this time in my life will be forgotten or at least reduced to nothing but a memory, so it's not worth my time to let overrun me.

Hi.  op here. I thought this anxiety issue would be gone by now but it hasn’t. It’s been 6 weeks now since it started. To put it simply, it’s nervousness that I feel and it’s all work related. If I could quit my job it would all go away and I would be cured that that can’t happen. I recon it’s having lots of jobs waiting to be signed off by clients is what is doing it. I’m not worried anymore. It is weird as I don’t obsessesvly think if I’ve done it correct anymore it’s just work in general. Some days I’m good and think why do I let myself get worked up about it?  It is what it is. 

Macca96
Community Member

Is there a difference between feeling nervous and feeling anxious? I am always nervous about my job cause I fear I might make a costly mistake. Like nervous in my stomach to the point I lose my appetite. It feels horrible and can’t enjoy my life as I should. As soon as I wake up it starts up but normally settles down at night, even on days I don’t work. My doctor now has me on medication but it’s not working. Anyone else get this?

When it does settle down at night I’m asking myself why? there is no need to be nervous. I go to sleep and wake up at 4.00 (earlier then I need to) and it starts up again. 

Chris o
Community Member

That seems not fun, hopefully you start feeling better.

Fern42
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Macca,

From my understanding nervousness is generally related to a specific event, while anxiety is often a more general state. You may feel anxious but can't always pinpoint what exactly is making you anxious. Feelings of anxiety can be awfully debilitating and I can understand how you would be feeling. I once felt like this too. I had experiences where anxiety would stir backup once morning came but settled of an evening. I hope this improves for you. You could certainly speak to your GP again if you are concerned.

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Macca96,

I am sorry you are experiencing this. Two important things here:

1. Nervousness and anxiety are classified as feelings that everyone, including mentally healthy people, experience to some degree.

2. An anxiety disorder is classified as irrational thought processes that lead to EXCESSIVE, often unnecessary feelings of anxiety and worry. 

It is important to remember that anxiety is a normal feeling, but an anxiety disorder is when you have excessive, irrational feelings of anxiety. Loss of appetite, disturbed sleep and a constant, irrational feeling of worry are common symptoms of anxiety disorders that you describe. Has your doctor spoken to you about anxiety disorders? It is important to get a proper assessment from your doctor and a referral to a psychologist if they think you have an anxiety disorder. Medication can certainly help, but you may need to trial and error on different types. The treatment that helped the most for me was THERAPY with a psychologist - I learnt strategies to manage my anxiety and I rarely experience it now.

I hope things improve soon,

Jaz xx

Macca96
Community Member

Hi all. Why am I always nervous about my job? It’s like I’m anxious but I’m not. Like I’m not worried about making errors I just think about the processes I need to do. Even on my days off I’m nervous about it.

I wake up hours before I need to and can’t get back to sleep. That’s when the nervous feelings kick in and lasts most of the day. Normally goes away at night but starts up again the next morning.

Only symptom is this nervous feeling in my tummy. And when it’s really bad I have no appetite. It’s very uncomfortable.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

TSmith
Community Member

Hey mate, good on you for reaching out! Work related anxiety can be very normal but it's important to address that it's effecting you to that degree. Is your job a new job? It's also good to get an outside perspective on what you might be having feelings of anxiety about, this could be having a chat to a loved one or even a work manager or colleague. May I ask what type of job it is? You could also be unconsciously feeling anxious about other aspects of work and life and going to work brings it all back up.   

Macca96
Community Member

I started a new job 8 months ago and 1 month later the neovous feeling came rushing in. So now I went back to my old job (drafter) a week ago and it’s still lingering. All I know is my current place of work, which I left 8 months ago, I was fine but now I’m not if that makes sense.

As I mentioned, it’s just a feeling of nervousness in my tummy, like butterflies, an adrenaline surge, which can last all day. 

Macca96
Community Member

It’s Sunday and been nervous all weekend, even though I’m NOT working. What gives? This is a joke! I can’t seem shake it no matter what I do.  I’m very frustrated. The thoughts are right in the back of my mind so not too intrusive but enough to make me feel the way I do. Oh and my job is a technical drafter. I haven’t been doing anything wrong, my boss is happy with me so yea I dunno what to do. As I said it’s just butterflies in the stomach. No racing heart or palpitations. No appetite.