FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Scared to death, OF DEATH.

Chin_Up
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

To all the fellow sufferers of anxiety,

Ever since I was a young child I have suffered from an extreme phobia of death. If I so much as think about it, I will have hot flushes and feel faint. My mind cannot fathom the thought of being here on earth, creating all of these loving relationships and then having it all erased. 

I'm not a religious person, so I don't have the comfort of saying to people 'see you on the other side' When for me, I have yet to experience any proof of this so called eternal life.

I believe this fear is a large reason for my anxious and depressive personality. 

Does anybody have any feedback on there thoughts, feelings and fears of death.. I think I just need to talk about it.

Hugs to all,

ChinUp.

35 Replies 35

pipsy
Community Member

Hi Chin Up. Quite an interesting post inviting heaps of feedback. I'm inclined to believe we all have 'phobia's'. Whether it be fear of flying, spiders, ants, bees, etc. Death, unfortunately is reality with a capital R. There is no escape that one. However, fear of death, comes under phobia as phobia is fear. To stress on something unavoidable is also a type of phobia. People will often say, those who 'passed' must be content, they haven't returned. This can be extremely insensitive for someone who is mourning a recent loss. I myself do not fear death as I accept the inevitability of it. I kind of believe that death brings a release of intense pain. Not always, I grant you, but for the majority of people who pass from a terminal illness, it is a blessing both for them and friends and family who have suffered with them. We go through life with illnesses sometimes contracted from other people, or we are sometimes born with problems which can lead to death. DN129's last paragraph sums it up well.

Lynda

MargaritaRowe
Community Member

I hope to find an answer too.

I am constantly thinking I am dying, and constantly fighting off the thoughts. It's really exhausting.

There are only two things that calm me down. Which is accepting that I will die one day.

And laughing. Finding someone to laugh with about your thoughts, trying to brush them off. I often tell my dad and my grandmother the things I think, and we end up laughing and it can be calming. It sometimes brings me back to earth. And also laughing at things like youtube videos or something....... witty humour and sarcasm helps me. Oh and another one, listening to people who inspire you. Like musicians or actors.

If you or anyone else on the thread ever need someone to laugh with or freak out with I'm here. Sometimes strangers are good. 🙂

Jess_164
Community Member

Hi,

I myself have struggled with this and still am. I am religious but haven't always been.

If you do believe in an afterlife I find this can be comforting. You don't need to be religious to believe in heaven. People I spoke to said when they see someone die it's almost like their soul left them.

Well no matter what happens try to live in the moment. I know this doesn't really help but it's what I do.

Best of luck!

fearfulnights
Community Member

Hi Chin Up,

I hope you have found some peace within your own mind. I know how exhausting it is. I feel like your post could have been written by me, it is that accurate. It is becoming a regular issue now and I don't want to burden my family or make them think the way I do. (awful)... anyway I would love some words of wisdom so I can be better. I know the secret is always to avoid running from your problems, and facing them head on but I am terrified.

Thanks in advance.

OMG I am also exactly like this ever sense I was first depressed (or probably more just worried) when i was 7/8, to now at 16, death has been the basis of all my depression and anxiety.

GenL
Community Member

Hey

felt the same for ages, Mine is usually brought on by stress and anger. Keep your self busy and do something you love, It keeps my mind of it so maybe it will work for you!