FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Recently OCD

cj_horror
Community Member

HI,

I was recently diagnosed with OCD alongside a number of other issues. My doctors want me to go on medication. I won't lie, I'm terrified.

I'm sick of being the way I am, but I have no faith in there being any possibility for a change for the better. I feel like I'm drowning.

I drink heavily and use narcotics to cope, but this can't last forever. I don't know anymore.

Any pointers or relevant experience is welcome.

4 Replies 4

Guest8901
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi CJ, and welcome to the Beyondblue Forums. I hope you find it helpful to know that there are many other people here who understand what you may be going through, that you are not alone in this. Here you will find others who are fellow sufferers of a variety of different MH issues who are all willing to support you and offer advice on what works for them. So please feel free to post here any time you like, but also to reply to existing threads of other fellow members. Your input will always be welcome, so I would suggest you have a browse of the threads contained within the Anxiety Forums. As you would know, OCD is an anxiety disorder.

I too have been diagnosed with OCD, along with several other disorders, so I understand what you are going through. Please do not be discouraged, as this distressing disorder can be treated with success.

You did not mention what your other disorders are, so I am only assuming that the medication your Drs are recommending, is for treatment specifically related to your OCD. Anti-anxiety medications are usually prescribed for this, and can be highly effective. So I hope you proceed with this option with an open mind, as difficult and scarey as it may seem right now.

Another thing to try, whether you go ahead with medication or not, is some psychotherapy with a psychologist. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is widely recognised as being the most effective and best form of treatment for OCD.

After successful CBT therapy, you may well find that you no longer need the medications and are able to wean off them. CBT is designed to give you the tools to effectively manage your own often debilitating symptoms of OCD.

Other than that, one of the most helpful things I was told by my psychologist was not to fight your obsessions or compulsions, as that only tends to make them worse. So try to acknowledge them, accept them, and then move on.

Are you receiving any help with your heavy drinking or narcotics use? It could be worth following up on this, as although you are using it currently to help you cope, in reality it is likely making the long term situation only worse. So I am gently suggesting you get some guidance and advice on how you could cut back somewhat.

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your reply. It helps to know that I'm not alone.

I'm scared that medication will make me gain weight. I also hate that I'll probably have to be medicated for the rest of my life. I don't want to be the person in the room who has to take pills to be "normal".

I was diagnosed with depression with my OCD and I have mood swings (my grandmother was bipolar).

My sadness and anger keep building. I don't know what to do anymore. I found myself not caring about anything anymore. There's so much I couldn't give a shit about.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Cj_horror, welcome to the site and OCD has been mentioned many times on this forum which is good because I also have it and have done so for 58 years so I understand how you are feeling.

Amanda has said most of it, especially when fighting your obsessions and compulsions only make it worse.

I must say when I was going through depression a number of years ago I also self-medicated with alcohol and was taking medication.

There are particular medications aimed at depression as well as OCD aimed at both of these together, and you're right when you say 'it can't last forever'.

Using both of these can damage any relationships with your family, friends, your health and any progress in a career you may have in mind, we don't want this to happen and appreciate you contacting us.

Please come back as there must be more you may want to tell us.

Geoff.

cj_horror
Community Member

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your input.

Right now I've benn diagnosed with OCD and depression.

I've been prescribed meds, but I'm scared of the side effects. How have your expereinces with medication been? 

CJ