FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Physical anxiety symptoms

Kmart96
Community Member

Hi,

I’ve been suffering from anxiety for nearly ten years now but it’s only recently that I’ve started getting really bad physical symptoms. I get severe aches and pains throughout my whole body, especially in my ribs which makes me more anxious and worried about my health. Just wondering if anyone else has had this sort of experience with it as I feel like I’m the only one

4 Replies 4

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Kmart and welcome to the forum.

Being constantly anxious is not at all nice and I have found I become anxious about being anxious.

One of the attributes of anxiety is muscles tightening up in the body. If you are only anxious in small doses, so to speak, then your body may well cope with the odd ache. If your anxiety has increased both in duration of anxiety and frequency then your body does not have much of a chance to relax. Add worry about your health and you get more tension. Our bodies are wonderful things but will not manage constant stress too well.

There are probably many other causes of aches and pains and it may be worth while to have a chat with your GP. I suggest you see a physiotherapist first and see if this will help. The physio can tell you what is happening although they cannot diagnose an illness.

Make an appointment with your GP to talk about your anxiety. If it is getting worse you may need medication or to see a counsellor.At the very least you have alerted your doctor to your increasing symptoms. See if the physio has any effect on your aches and pains first to rule out simple muscle spasm.

Try both of these options and see how it goes. Love to hear from you again.

Mary

Hi Mary,

thank you for getting back to me. I’ve recently been put on a new medication and see a psychologist/psychiatrist on a regular basis. I’m also seeing a physio at the moment but I always feel like they’ll think I’m crazy coming up with heaps of symptoms. My biggest concern is getting aches and pains in my chest and ribs which I automatically assume is my heart or a pulmonary embolism. I just don’t know how to combat these thoughts very well and I’m constantly scared there’s something seriously wrong with me

Hello Kmart

Sorry to learn you are still getting pain. It is scary to think you are having a heart attack when you have chest pain. I have earned a trip to hospital on occasions because of these pains. For me there are two causes, one is a panic attack and the other is the result of surgery and this pain has generally gone now.

Being afraid can increase your pain as your muscles tense up even more. It is important you discuss this with your psychologist/psychiatrist. I can definitely assure you they will not think you are crazy for talking about this. In fact they need to know what is happening to you and not being clairvoyant they need you to tell them. This is something your doctor can help you with so don't put up with feeling unwell and in pain. As most doctors will say, the only silly question is the one you don't ask. So ask away.

It's natural to wonder if these pains mean a heart attack or similar and be nervous about it. You will find if you call an ambulance the paramedics will take it very seriously. If you are feeling like this fairly often it may well be related to your depression. So please talk to your doctor and tell them what is happening. Constantly worrying is a cause for concern.

Mary

asdff
Community Member
I vomit. This last week, I have been in a depressive state. I was wasting time at a shopping centre until my psychologist appointment. It became too much, I had to leave and I was vomiting into a bag on the way home. I missed my appointment.