FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New to dealing with extreme anxiety

hacketts
Community Member
Hey,

I'm pretty new to all of this, in a way. I've been dealing with anxiety since I was a kid but have only started to acknowledge it/understand it in the past year. However, after I acknowledged it, it has become much worse, and after the recent separation with my partner, it taken over my entire mind.

I can't go a single day without shaking and feeling extremely vulnerable in my self. I've cut down of my drinking habits and try to do things that will calm myself down, but due to a lack of friends and motivation I feel stuck in my head a lot of the time.

I feel like I'm the only one that could be feeling exactly how I feel and that thought really isolates me. I'm unsure of myself and have lost all my self confidence and enthusiasm.

I'm not like who I used to be, and my confidence has really deteriorated. The anxiety makes me feel sick and helpless, and just so alone.

I'm worried it will stay like this forever, and in the height of it I struggle to rationalize. Coping mechanisms are not my strong suit.
2 Replies 2

Sophie_M

Hey hacketts,

Welcome to the forums, we are so glad that you've taken a big step in sharing your thoughts and feelings here with our wonderful community. We can hear how lonely and overwhelmed that you're feeling, but please know that you've come to a safe, non-judgemental space and our community is here to support you through this difficult time.

Can we ask, do you have any mental health support? We understand it can be really tough to cope sometimes, especially if you don't have a lot of support from family or friends. If you would like some help finding mental health support, we would recommend that you get in contact with the Beyond Blue Support Service. They are available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 3pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals.

Please feel free to keep checking back in here and let us know how you're going whenever you feel up to it. 

Hey Sophie,

I do have mental health support, in a psychologist. However, I seem to have difficulty opening up sometimes. But am really trying to do my best in that sence.

I like to think I'm pretty in touch with my emotions, but when my anxiety flares up, I find it very difficult to open up to my psych.

I'm just really interested in hearing the different ways people deal with anxiety, specifically in times of stress and grief.

I'm keen to help myself as much as possible but the starting points are very hard to figure out!