FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New to Beyondblue

Lori32
Community Member

Hi there!

Just wanted to say hello to everyone and also have a bit of a vent ! 

I have suffered from panic disorder with agoraphobia for over 15 years 😞  

Im having a bad day today not being able to control my thoughts and in turn is making me very anxious! I have read so many times that the way to beat this nightmare is to 'accept' and not fear it. Has anyone been able to do this? I thought I was accepting it but I think I hate it so much being this way that I don't really accept it at all. And also how can you not fear something that makes you feel so horrible?! 

Well anyway I'm trying take deep breaths and get through today! 

Hope you guys are doing well 🙂 

7 Replies 7

toshy
Community Member

Hi Lori

I to suffer severe anxiety and like you  get told to accept them, as yet I have not succeeded.

I am doing a course recommended by my phyciatrist, its called DBT Diletictal Behaviour Therapy, I have heard that there is a great success with it.

It will take anywhere from 6mnth to a year but I think that's worth it to get better again and not have to live with panic attacks and anxiety.

Take care and keep up with those deep breaths.

Christine

Aggy
Community Member

Hi Lori.

I have agoraphobia and extreme anxiety too so I know how you feel. Everyone is different so we have different ways of handling the bad days.

I would say find something healthy that you enjoy and use that. I find my love of music helps me most.  Even when I don't feel like it I play something and it seems to help.

I have even made some playlists of certain music that seems to help calm me down.

There are many other things to try which I'm sure some other people here can recommend, but that's how I do it when its really tough.

I hope you feel better soon and it's great that you posted your feelings, it may help a bit so keep posting any time you feel you need to.

-Aggy.

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Lori,

Welcome to Beyondblue. Plenty of others come here to vent too, so you're not alone there.

I'm glad Aggy has replied to you, I know there will be a lot of first hand experience shared. It's often helpful to know that there are other people who feel similarly to you.

I think the idea of acceptance is not so much throwing in the towel and saying "well this is just the way it is". I think it's more to do with "ok well if this is how I feel (fearful) what will I do regardless? Is the fear real or imaginary? How much should I buy into this fear? Is resisting the fear actually helping?" 

They once did an experiment of acceptance with monkeys. (It's a little cruel but explains acceptance really well) 2 monkeys were set to participate. Inside a box was a banana. The 1st monkey stuck his hand inside the cage, reached for the banana and tried to pull it out. There was a claw contraption on the entrance so as he pulled and pulled on his hand it was just getting more and more stuck. The 2nd monkey realised that if he put hi hand into the cage and pushed forward then slowly brought his hand back he was able to release the banana. The point of the experiment is that resistance isn't useful, acceptance is more reliable.

Hope this has given you food for thought.

I don't suffer from agoraphobia however I have always struggled with severe anxiety. I know Aggy will vouch for me that one of the techniques I always find myself recommending to others is Mindfulness. Worthwhile googling if you haven't come across this.

Hope we will hear back from you.

AGrace

Lori32
Community Member

So nice to meet you Aggy and AGrace! 

I got through the rest of the day fairly well! I actually did put music on and was singing away with my son lol

I have looked into meditation and mindfulness. I must practice it everyday though which I think is key rather than whenever I feel crappy. 

Thank you both so much for responding. I'm so glad I joined and have you lovely people to talk to and share my inner most fears with no judgement just advice, kindness and compassion. 🙂 

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Lori, I just want to welcome you to the site, as sometimes it takes awhile for a person to decide whether to post a comment or maybe they will do it later, but thankfully you have.

I am pleased that Aggy and Amber have replied to you, and while the latter is great support to many, Aggy is struggling so much with his own problems, but that's what happens here whether or not they have depression they still manage to reply, and that's good for themselves to do this, plus it gives other people their own personal knowledge.

With regards to your agoraphobia, which is some form of anxiety, depression is involved, as anxiety falls under the umbrella of this major illness, so I wonder whether you have some concerns with this. Geoff..

Lori32
Community Member

Hi Christine! 

I have no idea but your post just showed up but you were the first to comment! 

I have not heard of DBT....I'll have to google it. I hope you have success with it and I to agree that even if it takes a year it is worth it not to live with panic and anxiety anymore.

I wish you the best! 

Lori32
Community Member

Hi Geoff! 

Nice to meet you! 

I think I do have slight depression but I am not concerned with that as much as I am with the panic and anxiety..

i am so glad I found this site and am thankful for your responses.