FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Caz
Community Member

Firstly hello to all and thankyou for the opportunity to connect I have Lupus Fibromyalgia and am finding hard times of late with pain fatigue and feeling lost unable to sit in a car without feeling anxious I guess I just am hoping that there is hope 

2 Replies 2

ABC01
Community Member

Dear Caz,

It is great that you want to connect with others. It is a relief just to be heard sometimes and at crucial times for yourself.

Hope and optimism go hand in hand. It means we want better things for ourselves. That is the glimmer we just need. One spark. And things can start to change or improve. So even if we are down,that hope is the pinprick of light beaconing us towards it.

Pain, fatigue, feeling lost and anxiety are all overwhelming and when they combine, can be very hard to find the hope. But it is there. Sometimes like a game of Where’s Wally. Keep going and you will find the hope.

Self-care and kindness to yourself is a great way to start. Bath bombs or Shower Steamers, a favourite childhood dessert you not had in forever or indulgence in a particular tv show or movie you been wanting to see. If you can love yourself,hope definitely blooms from that.

Welcome,

ABC01

indigo22
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Caz,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for reaching out to us.

You are dealing with a lot of issues and I am sorry for the way you are feeling at present.

I would like to share some insight I have recently gained about my own issues (different to yours but the information still applies).

I have been dealing with major depression most of my life but it has become chronic in the last few years. I have also been dealing with digestive issues for most of my life and in the past 12 or so years have had nervous system issues. Reactions like involuntary shaking after a needle (I really hate them) and the like.

I have been working with a therapist that does somatic work in addition to talk therapy. After my first session with her of the somatic work I came to the realisation that despite having done many years of talk therapy, most of what I have talked through is still trapped in the body. I now realise that the things I thought were separate health issues are in fact all interconnected. I suspect this may be the same with you. One of the reasons I have these nervous reactions is that my nervous system is dysregulated, meaning that it is constantly in alert mode (fight or flight or freeze) and no longer goes into a regulated state (relaxation and digestion) which is also why my digestion is affected.

Yes, I believe there is hope, but first we need to understand why our body is reacting in the way it is. The only thing doctors can do is manage the symptoms, I believe it is our responsibility to dig deeper to find the cause. Once you know the cause, you can look at ways to help your system heal itself.

I hope this is of some help to you, please feel free to continue the conversation if you are comfortable doing so.

Take care,

indigo