FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My social anxiety is making University really tough for me

Baileysmells
Community Member

I’ve been on campus for 13 now, I admit I kinda had the mindset of being a loner and just finishing the work. But it turns out my classes require a lot more than that of me.

I just looked at tomorrows lecture guideline and there’s going to be an in-class debate where we get into a group and act as someone from this pre-determined hypothetical situation. Then present results from that to the class.

We are also beginning our first assessment which is a group work assignment, we have to figure out the groups and begin planning/exchange information.

I am absolutely terrified of those. It feels like it’s going to be a lot of pressure. The people at the table I happened to sit at already seem disinterested in me and talk amongst themselves, I don’t know how I’m going to be grouped up. Wether the people I get with don’t want me there or make an awkward mess of myself during it. 😞

4 Replies 4

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello.

It's natural to feel nervous about things that will happen in class as you mentioned in your post. I don't know if any of this will help, but I am quite sure there will be plenty of other students in s similar position - either because they have not done the readings or other reasons. 

On group projects... these can be hard. Especially when you are relying on others. In some respects it models what things will be like afterwards and learning to be part of a group. I remember back when .... I did most of the work otherwise there would have been nothing to hand in at the end. I recently tutored someone involved in a group project. This person was assigned some tasks and each did their own part separately. Probably not selling it here. If I could give some advice...  (1) who is the group leader (2) ask the leader what you can do.

They might also be nervous in talking to you as well? Easier to talk to someone you know that someone you don't.

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Baileysmells,

I want to let you know that it's very normal. I think you're not the only one, there must be other of your classmates feeling nervous as well. 

When you say your classmates on the same table seem disinterested in you, I can tell you that it's just your imagination, any different voice and idea is welcoming and helpful. Trust me you won't mess up.

If you're not ready to be a leader, then be a team member. Try to support others, contribute your idea, and cooperate, as long as you're trying  your best, it's enough, and you'll be recognised. 

Good luck, you'll be fine.

Mark

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi BaileySmells,

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

But wow! What a great opportunity for you to work in a group activity…. Try to embrace it with positivity.

Tell your self positive things …. 

When you wake up in the morning feed your mind with positive thoughts….. 

Smile… you could say ….. today is a great day, today I will be working in a group and I’m really looking forward to the experience.

Today I will make new life long friends, today is the day that I step out of my comfort zone into new amazing opportunities.

Everyone in my group LOVES me.

Say it like you mean it …… believe it…

What we believe we become…

💪 go get em

Please come back to us and tell us about your day…. Im looking forward to hearing all about it 😊

It was easier than I expected, we didn’t do the group work because the teacher was crook and she wanted to get the important stuff over with. A dude I’ve been sitting with turned up to the class so I wasn’t left to myself with strangers and one of the chicks at the table seemed engaged with me. Sounds alright on paper hey, but now I kick myself for being reserved during the class. 

I have this person I want to be in mind but that bridge can’t be crossed because the anxiety breaks it down. I’m gutted I didn’t have the confidence to go to the big party this year. Like almost tearing up upset that I’m missing out on who I want to be. 

Uni is supposedly the best time in peoples lives but I don’t let it get close to that with the way I feel in general and the anxiety that surrounds all the social aspects.

Feeling empty. I’m getting a little bit of pride from completing my study and improving in those aspects at least but it seems minuscule in comparison to what I want to achieve