FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Just read that OCD could be caused by dietary glutamate, MSG

yungtree
Community Member

hey guys this might be a helpful post as I just read an article posted by the NCBI. (This is part of the United States National Library of Medicine)

So basically the case is saying that dietary glutamate could be contributing to the symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder. They did a random clinical trial on a 50 year old man who had been showing symptoms of OCD for 39 years. He was put on this dietary trial to test the effects of a low-glutamate diet on fibromyalgia/irritable bowel syndrome symptoms.

After 1 month on the low-glutamate diet all of his symptoms remitted, including his OCD, which had previously been non-responsive to pharmacological treatment.

They are suggesting biological plausibility for this observation. But future research is needed.

The diet is a low-glutamate diet

Im going to give this diet a try and see for myself if it works out. Cheers!

8 Replies 8

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi yungtree,

Thank you so much for sharing that article with us 🙂

While I don’t personally have OCD, I know that a number of the other forum members here have it. I’m sure many would be keen to learn more about the latest research...thanks again for sharing.

I hope it all goes well 🙂 Although, I’m just wondering do you think maybe you might like to consider seeing your GP to discuss your planned low-glutamate diet and show him/her the article? It’s just that I figured it wouldn’t hurt to have some extra professional support on board...

Sorry, I hope that’s okay for me to say...it’s just a gentle suggestion but it’s completely up to you or not if you feel my suggestion is suitable/helpful (or not) 🙂

There’s no pressure or rush but if you’re feeling up to it, feel free to let us know how things go...it would be lovely to hear from you again.

Kind and caring thoughts,

Pepper

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Yungtree, thank you for this information and I'd be interested to see how the diet goes because none of this has ever been mentioned to me and although I've had OCD for 58 years it's only the later years this has come to the surface.

To read any article on this you need to put your blinkers on as well as ear muffs, with a notice do not disturb, because it's heavy reading.

It would be much easier for the doctor to list what you should eat and what you shouldn't.

Geoff.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Yungtree,

Welcome to the forums,

I found your post very interesting because I believe food plays a huge part in both our physical and mental states..

I will follow along and see how you go and if you feel better for it..

I have looked up low glutamate diet and it looks very complicated...

I agree with Pepper that maybe a discussion with your gp first just to get some guidelines on the different balances that might be needed for the diet to work properly and making sure you are safe in doing this.... I have said out of care and concern..

Good luck and hope to hear back from you soon...with an update...only if you want to...

Grandy...

Mike1000
Community Member

Hi Youngtree’s

just wondering if you are still on the low Glutamate diet and if so is it helping?

Im about to start it the diet myself.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Mike, I'm pleased you have asked this question to Youngtree as I'm also very interested.

Can I ask you if that's OK, did your doctor inform you about this low Glutamate diet, regarding OCD and please if you want to get back to us, in your own time, I'd be very interested because I have had this illness for a long time.

Thanks.

Geoff.

Mike1000
Community Member

Hi Geoff,

actually I came across the same study that youngtree posted about in her/ his original post. I then made contact with the Dr that was the author of the study. I’ve been eating a low glutamate diet for a couple of weeks and might have to wait a couple more weeks for the verdict. The diet basically restricts any known artificial flavor enhancers like MSG, Yeast extract, Whey Protein, aspartame. No aged cheese, soy sauce. Basically eating only whole foods made from scratch. Oh and no white bread, whole meal is ok as long as it doesn’t contain prohibited enhancers. And she suggested taking Cod liver oil made by Nordic.

Sorry I hit the send button by accident. Anyway she also said things like corn chips, potato chips, rice crackers are ok provided they’re plain with no additives like yeast extract etc. Greek yogurt is also ok if you’re not allergic to dairy. She also said eating pasta (with rice noodles) is ok but not to many days in a row because the concentrated tomatoes can be a problem if eaten on consecutive days. Please feel free to ask any questions you like. Hopefully this diet can offer some relief from ocd and GAD.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Mike, thanks for this, because it's never been suggested to me, however, it could be a new discovery which I really hope it is, that would be fantastic for those of us struggling with it.

Geoff.