FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Im feeling overwhelmed.Loneliness and guilt.Dont want to lose friends.

Beaser
Community Member
Hi and best wishes. I am starting to feel myself slide again . I have long been involved in my local football club and having been single for so long so it has been like my family and my support network. I have a partner now and she isnt that interested i dont know how to go about things as far as continuing my involvement. I dont want to lose her over it but i need my friends and my social network. I have had a huge battle with depression and anxiety for my most of my life. I have leant on people for support too much at times and im scared that i may not have that support anymore because they may be tired of it. I have sruggled with work for so long as a result. I just want to be happy again .I feel like im on this horrible treadmill and never get anywhere. I would appreciate any feedback and thoughts from anyone i hope i have described my situation ok as it is hard to do . Thanks for reading and best wishes . Brett.
76 Replies 76

jtjt_4862
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Brett,

It will certainly make things harder for you to heal thru the heartbreak if you're still in contact with her, and she too needs the space to heal. Is there something that you've been wanting to do, but couldn't do when you were in a relationship? For example wood work, or golf, or collecting vinyl records? You could use the free time that you once did not have to look into new hobbies that might tickle your interest.

You mention that you're a creature of habit, can you help me understand that a bit more on this? Do you mean when you pick places to go, you tend to pick the ones that you're familiar with, or know that you will be safe there? And while you would like to explore new places or people, you are afraid to do so because you're unsure about the outcome that would happen if you do go to those unknown places, or meet new people?

Jt

Beaser
Community Member

Hi and thanks for your reply JT.

I think you could probably say ,yes i do like to stick to things i have long been familiar with . I think my anxiety and nerves play a big factor in this . While i think people would say i was a friendly person im probably not the most confident or outgoing . I have thrown myself in to doing more hours volunteering behind the bar at my Football club ,this is good as it forces me to interact with people without to much need for small talk . I wouldnt say i was unsure about meeting new people. I guess its just i feel more comfortable around old friends . Thanks again JT. Happy to describe my situation further Brett

jtjt_4862
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Brett,

Thank you for your explanation. Please do share more, as I'd like to understand your point of view.

Do you sometimes feel, you'd like to be more outgoing and exploring new places and meeting new people? Or are you happy with the way you are right now with things (i.e having a group of old friends, and keeping to going to places where you're familiar with?)?

Jt

Beaser
Community Member

Hi JT

If im totally honest im probably just happy with the people i see and the places i go .

Although things have changed a bit for me post covid lockdowns im probably more that way than ever. Ive decided to be a bit more honest with myself and even with other people about what im comfortable with. Its actually been a bit more comfortable for me to be who i am ,if that makes sense. I need to take care of myself. I know at times its also important to push yourself out of your comfort zone and i am doing my best in that regard. Thanks again Brett.

I

Beaser
Community Member
Hi i hope everyone is well . I have found things pretty tough of late.. I have a job interview today and that makes me nervous. Am i doing the right thing i ask myself. I now that my current job is causing me much depression and anxiety. Dreading Mondays and not sleeping .. All my friends say that is a sign i need to change jobs . Im also going through a relationship breakup and that makes me sad.. I guess im looking at the things i miss and glosssing over the problems we had.. Not having family and living alone makes this all so hard. I hope everyone has a happy Day . brett

Beaser
Community Member
Had a friendly chat with my former partner today. She says she struggles with my love of being and helping at my footy club. Well i dont think im doing anything wrong and i feel that volunteering and helping there are in my best interests. She also finds it hard that i know everyone in my town and everybody says hello to me. Im actually proud of that and i think it shows my reputation and standing in my community. I feel i have done nothing wrong and why should i drop these things . Brett

jtjt_4862
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Heya Brett,

Hopefully your job interview went well. We can only tell what's on the other side when we take that step, and whatever lies on the other side, you'll be alright.

If you found that there's nothing wrong with what you're doing (i.e the volunteer work, and your reputation in your community), and that you shouldn't be dropping those things that means the most to you, then perhaps the relationship ended due to a mismatch in values between yourself and your former partner, and things were not meant to be. With that, the best thing to do would be to go separate ways, keep moving forward, and appreciate the times you've had with her. Perhaps someone better would appear in your life at a later time, someone who is more supportive of what keeps you happy, and someone whom you can appreciate as well. Before that happens, surround yourself with your friends, and explore new places, or experience new things and hobbies that you couldn't do when you were in a relationship.

You've been given another chance at living a life that's free from the responsibilities in a relationship, but if someone else better does come into your life throughout your journey, welcome them with open arms and experience life with them. And if either of you feel that things aren't working out, then let each other go so that you both may find happiness elsewhere. For now, appreciate the experience that life has given you thus far, and use the time you have now to learn to be secured with yourself. Learn to be comfortable living alone.

JT

Beaser
Community Member
Thanks JT You are right i have been given a chance to explore other things. And i do need to get comfortable being alone. And i know that means to move on.. I seen my Dr this morning and hes not that keen on the new job thing as the one im at is supportive of my mental health requirements. I know in some aspects maybe i need to accept things for what they are. Brett.

Beaser
Community Member

Hi and best wishes to everyone again.

I have had a pretty eventful week and i had to take the plunge and resign from my job. Ive stuck it out for so long but cant do it any longer. It has taken a real toll on my mental health and contributed to my unhappiness in my personal life. I cant lay awake at night dreading the day ahead for the rest of my working life. It also contributed to my recent relationship breakdown. I only have a very small mortgage and i will get paid out 3months leave. Im scared if im honest but i had to make the decision. I just so hope its one of those decisions that you find hard but some day feel so happy that you made it. Best wishes Brett.

Beaser
Community Member
Getting a bit nervous at times now about taking the plunge and leaving my job . I spoke to an old friend about it and he sounded a bit surprised and doubtful that id done the right thing ,when i get that sort of response i get worried. I have to remind myself that its me who knows what im experiencing work wise and no job is worth my mental health. I have worked hard all my life. I hope people can understand. Brett.