FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi from a newbie

Lakeside19
Community Member

Hi there!

I’m new to the forums so just wanted to say hello. I’m not really sure what I should write but I suddenly had the urge to find somewhere I could connect and chat to others who understand what I feel sometimes.

I have struggled with anxiety for as long as I can remember & am still working to find things that really help me to deal with it. I think I’m probably like many of you in that I’m finding the current situation quite a struggle. Had this happened 5 years ago I would’ve easily found things to occupy myself but with a 4 year old at home gone are the days of binge watching tv series, crafting & gaming.

I’m hoping having a safe place to get the feelings out and just to have a chat (I’ve always been better at talking from behind a screen) will help a little. I look forward to finding out more about all of you

12 Replies 12

Hi Lakeside,

The picnic sounds lovely.

Keeping my mind focused was also hard. I think the main thing with meditation is that you have to *want* to do it. My psychologist recommended a few techniques to me which I tried but didn't resonate with. A lot of it is finding what you enjoy. Mindfulness could even be when you were having your picnic just taking a few moments to listen to the sounds around you and feeling the sun on your face and letting any thoughts you have just wash over you. There's no rigid way to meditate/be mindful, it's just about clearing your head.

Going for walks also works, or doing a puzzle, or anything where you can allow your mind to be clear for a few moments.

Hope you have a beautiful day!

Zoe

Thanks for the suggestions Zoe, much appreciated.

I have downloaded the smiling mind app and have done a few of the basic meditations. I’m really enjoying it and find his voice really calming so hopefully I’ll have the motivation to keep going with it.

I’ve found crossword puzzles and diamond art to be great for keeping my mind focused and off other things. Just a matter of finding time to do them with a little one around.

enjoy your weekend!

Dear Lakeside

Hello and a belated welcome to the forum.

Meditation can seem difficult because we often lose our concentration. I have been meditating for years and still have problems. Some days are great, others not so good. When you realise you are getting distracted it can be difficult to get back on track so to speak. Waste no effort on trying to put something out of your mind by willpower. Instead focus on the meditation. Try to acknowledging the interruption and say you will get back to that thought later. Be gentle with yourself and start meditating again.

It is easy to get annoyed and dispirited. We are not used to calming ourselves in this way, not used to reaching our calm centre. While our brains are very useful they do like to retain the status quo. Meditation is a huge change in managing ourselves and the brain does not like change. it will happen but not overnight.

How do you meditate? Filling your mind with pictures etc is just distracting in my opinion. How are we supposed to relax while we frantically try to keep a picture of the sea in our minds. I use a mantra which I repeat silently in my mind and that's what I concentrate on. Yes I find myself dealing with other thoughts before I realise it but when I do realise I put the thought to one side and gently bring myself back to meditation and my mantra.

I hope that helps. Love to hear from you again.

Mary