FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Graduate feeling stuck

kaityo1
Community Member

Hi all, I recently graduated from my teaching degree, which I felt proud of accomplishing. During my study I felt optimistic about the career as I enjoyed the topics and felt achievement whenever I passed a unit/placement. However, now in hindsight I feel like it was more so about feeling accomplishment rather than feeling passion for the career itself. This is because now that it comes to going for a job I feel debilitating anxiety to the point where I feel unmotivated and dread to even try the industry. I am medicated for anxiety and depression already and struggle a lot with life transitions, so it makes it feel almost impossible to try the profession. I am quite comfortable in my current job as I feel I am good at it so this makes it harder too. I feel a lot of anxiety around the guilt of not entering the profession and have been struggling with very low mood and lack of motivation.

Any advice is appreciated. 

3 Replies 3

Caite
Community Member

Hey Kaityo,

I have been in a similar situation a couple years back, I was in my hairdressing era and decided to take the plunge and study business at the same time, when it came time to choosing I felt like I had wasted my time in the current job, i decided to change over due to an incident that occurred with another coworker at the time so that kinda helped me more, however, just remember change is scary and believe me I have been going through it this year too, my dr cold Turkey me off anti depressants back in February and have been going through a scary withdrawal now my anxiety and depression are so debilitating I have to go back on medication and feel that same weight you are. Do what’s best for you, and hey if you don’t use your diploma, at least you can say you’ve done it, there’s nothing wrong with being scared of change, however, sometimes change is what is best for us, I recently left a job I loved and was amazing at cause it just wasn’t the right fit anymore, it was scary and sad but the best thing I did.

Sorry I tend to rant a bit I hope that makes sense. 

You got this, and whatever decision you make will be the best ❤️

kaityo1
Community Member

Thank you for your response Caite, it definitely makes sense. Undertaking my course was a huge deal as it pushed me out of my comfort zone, which was a great accomplishment, especially due to having anxiety and depression.. and to top it off a stutter.. I find anticipated life changes/transitions particularly tough as I feel my body naturally goes into a state where I feel sluggish, physically sick and a bit hopeless tbh.. even without overthinking it. 

Caite
Community Member

I definitely understand that feeling I’m currently having it and forcing myself through new medication and exposures therapy by myself as I’m stuck at home scared to leave without my partner, doing what makes you feel comfortable is always the best option