FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Going on my first trip overseas, and also on my own. HELP ME!!

Losttwentysomething_
Community Member

As the title says I am going on my first trip on my own and it will be overseas. I have never been overseas before so I am quite frankly shitting myself. I have so much to think about before I go such as getting myself familiar with my flights, what to pack, what i cant take, what bag/s to buy, etc.  I will be going on a tour so activities and making friends will be done through this tour group.

Has anyone else been overseas on their own and how did you cope? I could use people advice and tips and how they managed to prepared for their trip. There are so many websites out there that I don't know where to start

I also feel pressure to travel as I am in my late twenties and that it will be harder to do when older 

5 Replies 5

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Losttwentysomething,

I hope you really enjoy your trip overseas…I think a good idea is to research your flight plan, accommodations you will be staying in, the local weather forecast of where your visiting, which might help you to know what clothes to pack for your trip…I think it’s also a good idea to check out the countries rules about dress code etc…..

Not sure if I’ve helped at all..I have never been out of Australia…but one thing I do know is….That you should never feel pressured into doing something that you don’t really want to do….

My kindest thoughts Dear Losttwentysomething….

Grandy..

Ashii
Community Member

Hi! It’s great that you’re going on an overseas trip! I hope it goes well! 

I went traveling on my own for two months and there were a couple of things I found really helpful.

The first was to bring with me the printed out itinerary for my trip and to research how to get to my hostels/hotels once I arrived in a city.

Another really good thing to look at and keep on you at all times is who you can contact if an emergency comes up. This can include emergency contacts back in Australia, local emergency contacts and the embassy contacts and locations in the countries you’re visiting. It’s also a good idea to keep an eye on local news and check the smart traveller website as you go.

Third is to keep a few hundred dollars in cash on you at all times in a location different to your wallet. This can come in handy if you lose your wallet or phone.

Depending on where you’re going, there may be different ways that theft can occur, so it might be helpful to look up some of the common ways theft can occur for tourists in the places you’ll visit and ways you can avoid them.

If you’re going to a non-English speaking country or countries, it can be helpful to have a list on your phone or a booklet of commonly used phrases like ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ with the pronunciations.

Always brings snacks and a water bottle with you, check out what medication you can bring to another country if you have any or if there are any requirements and make sure you get vaccinations for specific diseases to the country you’re visiting if you need it.

I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time! Good luck!!

Fred65
Community Member

Yeah - I hear you. I put off going overseas for ages because I wasn't keen on doing it on my own. Eventually I took the plunge and did it - went on my own with a tour group and it was fantastic. Like you I was very nervous before hand but seriously it was so good! You won't regret it. If you're on your own going with a tour group is the way to go. You'll have a great time. I know I did and wondered why I left it for so long. Go for it and have a great time.

Valmaniallo
Community Member

I totally understand the nerves about your first solo overseas trip. For your trip, just go with the flow, honestly! The things that are meant for you to experience will simply come to you, or at least that's what I like to believe. Embrace the moments of solitude 🙂 it’s a great time for self-reflection. Have fuun!

Hilanior
Community Member
I totally understand the nerves about your first solo overseas trip! I’ve been in a similar situation. I traveled to Missouri and stayed at a place caled the westgate in Branson. For your trip, just go with the flow, honestly! The things that are meant for you to experience will simply come to you, or at least that's what I like to believe. Embrace the moments of solitude 🙂 it’s a great time for self-reflection. Have fuun!