FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Fear of being alone/ physically isolated

Joy1196
Community Member

I am a middle aged woman who has travelled by myself around the world, but as my anxiety has got worse, I have found it terrifying to be alone at night when my partner is away. This was somewhat helped when i started taking medication. but we have since moved to the beach where we are the only permanent residents. My nearest neighbours are 1 km away. My anxiety has got worse and i can't make myself walk alone on the beach when my partner is away. I see other women run/walk on the beach by themselves and feel so embarrassed.

Is this something anyone else experiences?

4 Replies 4

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Joy, welcome

Yes, very much have the same experiences as a young man, I'm now 63yo. In fact, I wanted total isolation from society which would never work. To explain that further please google

Beyondblue topic want to be a hermit?

As well as that I wouldn't enter shopping centres, refused to join a queue and disliked not being in control eg on busses or trams.

The good news is that it is treatable. In fact in 1987 when I have lots of therapy he taught me how to get things into perspective. I highly recommend attending a therapist/counselor.

Us humans fall into insecurity often. It isn't something to be ashamed about. That woman running alone on the beach? she could be a addicted gambler. That girl running along the road might have a learning disability. And so on. Many people have health issues that are hidden.

Google

Beyondblue topic the positives of fear

I hope you are ok. Repost anytime to further discuss.

tonyWK

thanks tony Wk. It just feels so shameful and a negation of the fact that i am a strong, confident woman in most areas of my life. Probably time to see a counsellor, as i'm feeling stuck. Its just so much "work' to go through the process. Thanks for your encouragement.

joy

Joy1196
Community Member

2 posts

15 July 2019 in reply to white knight
thanks tony Wk. It just feels so shameful and a negation of the fact that i am a strong, confident woman in most areas of my life. Probably time to see a counsellor, as i'm feeling stuck. Its just so much "work' to go through the process. Thanks for your encouragement.

coal
Community Member

hello I know this anxiety beast I have no idea if this suggestion is at all suitable but I will share in the hope of assisting you. Would you consider a dog and if you have one then would you consider a second dog. Some of the bidable breeds even sense the anxiety and will calm you with kind distraction - usually touch.

I wish you comfort cause holding down the forte alone can be painful, I did it for 13yrs

best wishes and hoping you improve