FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Extreme sensitivity to everyday life. Please help me.

Penguin_fan08
Community Member

Hello everyone, and thanks to those who have given me a warm welcome.

I'm new here, and only getting used to how forums work, but I'll try my best in making this as easy to read as possible.

I have extreme sensitivity to everyday life. What I mean by this is that I cannot handle loud noise (usually can handle with my sound-cancelling headphones but not without them; I cannot leave home without them). I cannot handle being touched because of my phobia with germs, I have trouble maintaining eye contact and speaking to others (and when I do, they say I am rude or mean to them). I have a lot of trouble with all of this, and I was hoping someone could help me. Any advice would be well received.

Anything helps, thanks.

Penguin

4 Replies 4

Sardine
Community Member

Hi,

I'm no expert but the things you've listed sound like they may be all connected in some way. I personally know someone who also has problems with certain noises, being touched and interacting with people.

Have you ever talked to a psychologist about these things? If you haven't I think it would be beneficial.

Birdy77
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Penguin, (and hello and welcome to Sardine),

I'm not sure if this is something that you have thought of, but I have a few friends who are on the autism spectrum (including Aspergers) and they experience the same sorts if sensitivities to what you have described.

One guy I know was diagnosed in adulthood, and it explained a lot of his difficulties throughout his life, and enabled him to set up structures to make life easier for himself.

I've known lots of children who have difficulty maintaining eye contact and speaking to others sensitive to sounds and lights And touch (sensory overload), and their diagnosis as being on the autism spectrum has helped them to get supports in place that they need.

This may not ring true for you, but I thought I would mention it in case it is something you think might help to explore with your doctor.

Be good to yourself.

🌻birdy

Greetings Sardine,

I haven't as of yet but I did speak to one doctor (not my own) who believed I may have sensory sensitivity.

I am in the process of getting to speak to a psychologist about this.

Regards, Penguin

Greetings Birdy.

Actually, I am trying to get tested for autism, as many have also suggested this. I started to believe I was lying to myself and to others but I now realize that both that is not true and a diagnosis isn't scary and will help me in the long run. So I will try harder to talk to the doctors about this.

Regards, Penguin.