FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Eating and Anxiety

SilverLight
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi everyone,

Does anyone else have a massive problem with food, cravings and over eating?
When I have bad days with my mental health (today for example 🤦) I can't be bothered cooking because I'm tired and stressed and I crave junk food/sugar. I tell myself I'll just order in or cheat this time and then I'll give it up/save more money but the bank balance keeps going backwards and I keep getting bigger and bigger... How do I control this?! 😭

4 Replies 4

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Silverlight,

I can relate to your story...

When I’m depressed I seem to reach for junk food that I have in my home..especially ice cream and chocolate although now I stopped buying chocolate...

On the days I’m feeling okay..I try to cook a few extra serving of food and freeze them...that way I can just microwave them....Maybe that’s something that you might try..

I am lucky that the nearest shop is a 70 kilometre round trip, makes it easier for me to not go..

Not sure how you can control it...except that you need to have a strong want of doing it...

I buy salad items every fortnight and cut into sticks...carrots, cheese, celery, small baby beetroot, pickled onions, etc...place them into containers and snack on them mostly..not alway though..I have a craving for ice cream and have a small bowl each night...a small reward for eating healthy through the day....

I wish you all the luck in the world lovely SilerLight...Gee I like your forum name..Talk here anytime you feel up to it..others will pop in from time to time to chat to you and offer suggestions...

Here for you with my care..

Grandy..

missep123
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi SilverLight,

I completely relate. All I can think about is junk food and for a moment it makes me happy. I realised that when I am stressed I feel as though the junk food will be a temporary cure.

The first step for me was noticing it and really understanding why this behaviour has come about. Also what thoughts I am having which are linked to this behaviour.

There are a lot of great mental health professionals who focus on eating, may I ask have you ever seen one before?

I'm here for you!

sunnyl20
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi SilverLight,

Please know that you are definitely not alone in what you are experiencing. Seeking comfort from food is not unusual or abnormal - whether that is due to stress, fear, loneliness, low mood, whichever. It sounds like it is becoming quite distressing for you though. I'm sorry that you are feeling out of control, it can feel really scary. There is no simple answer but it sounds like you are motivated to change. Think about why you want to change and write those reasons down somewhere where you can refer back to them. Even making a couple of goals that feel realistic for the coming week that you can try to work towards.

In terms of coping with stress, are there any other activities or strategies that you feel have been helpful in the past in reducing your stress? E.g. listening to music, hanging out with friends, going for a walk, watching a show, grounding techniques.

Most of all, try not to be so hard on yourself. Many people struggle with cravings and overeating. It can be really hard to change, especially on your own. Please don't hesitate to reach out for support, whether that is online or seeking professional help with your GP or a psychologist.

Take care.

kody_love
Community Member

I wanted to pop in and say I also have an array of food issues related to my anxiety.

Earlier this year, an anxiety-triggering event occurred which saw me respond by not eating. Anxiety can make me nauseous so eating was difficult and I lost 9kg in the span of a few months.

But I also adore what I guess people call 'comfort eating'. Chocolate especially. If I had McDonalds in my kitchen I would also be constantly in there shoving food in my mouth until I felt sick.

I have been seeing a nutritionist who has helped me understand what the physiology of my body is craving when it gets in the mood for binges and what I can give it in lieu of a typical binge, in order to feel satisfied. This has been helpful for me to avoid binges and putting my body what it goes through when it processes large amounts of bad foods, and what it goes through when I deprive it of food.

Relieving the stress that is causing you to turn to food in this way is key. It is so much easier to say than it is to do, but it is a worthwhile venture that you are certainly deserving of.

I would like you to know that you are certainly not alone and I was comforted when I read your thread, because it made me feel less alone. So many of us experience the same thing and it is comforting that we are able to find each other and discuss it.

Take care of yourself.