FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Dealing with anxiety

Guest_7817
Community Member

I'm feeling very anxious and I have no idea why. 😕

I try a lot of things such as playing games, watching movies, going for walks, sitting outside in fresh air, playing with my dogs and colouring in books. They only last for so long and are short term which is a major problem for me. 

It's worse at night time and first thing in the morning. Sleeping becomes difficult at times for me. 

I suffer at work sometimes with it as well but I'd prefer others to not know about it. 

I don't know what else to do. 

9 Replies 9

loulou89
Community Member

go message places they help you relax 

Maisy Nina
Community Member

I hope you are feeling more peaceful today ❤️ Has this been a long-term problem for you? x

It's been an ongoing issue the last few months. 

There are days where I'm miserable and then there might be a couple of weeks where nothing happens. 

It's annoying never knowing what sort of a day/night I'll be in for. 

I've even thought about going to hospital for it. 

What places are available? 

Hi there

Thank you for your post to the forums today and for sharing with us how you are feeling right now. It must be really tough not knowing what sort of day you will have. It can be exhausting to feel like we have to keep anticipating our emotions.

If you ever feel that it is too much to bear, going to hospital/presenting to the emergency department can be a good option to stay safe. You can also speak with your GP about it, too. 

If you ever feel like talking, please know that the Beyond Blue counsellors are here for you as well, and you can call us on 1300 22 4636 any time. Thanks again for posting here today - we hope your evening goes well

Kind regards,  
Sophie M 

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear 17-6-1987,

A very warm and caring welcome to our forums…

I am so sorry that your struggling hard with anxiety, I also struggle with anxiety…One thing I learnt is that without a good nights sleep our emotions are heightened and that includes anxiety…

Your so right in saying that distraction isn’t really a long term thing…it helps our anxiety while we’re doing things we like, then when we stop I know my anxiety comes back…but at least for those minutes, hours that we are doing things we like…our mind does have a little rest from the bombardment of anxious thoughts…

Night time was hard for me to sleep, I would lay for hours in bed trying to sleep with my mind chattering away with anxious thoughts….I spent a number of weeks in hospital, where I was introduced to sleep stories, they are gently spoken stories of peaceful places…just search YouTube “sleep stories “…I have a couple of favourite readers…”Dan Jones”,   “Get Sleepy” …I mostly fall asleep before the story is even finished….maybe give one a try tonight and see how you go….

Do you have a GP. that you could talk to about how your anxiety is effecting you on a daily basis, they can help you….your GP, can get you a mental health care plan to help you manage your anxiety better by speaking to professional counsellors/psychologists…

Please talk here whenever you feel up to it, we are here when we can be, to help support you the best we can…

Kind thoughts Dear 17-6-1987,

Grandy…

The problem is, I have no support at home. If I go to hospital, everybody will just treat me like I'm over reacting, they keep telling me it's just all in my head. 

It's very stressful always basically having to be on guard I guess you could say all the time. It takes just one thing to set it all off again. 

I really don't think there's much else my gp can do. 

I can't afford to take time off or end up in hospital for weeks at a time because I have a mortgage to pay now. I have to keep working. 

I have a regular gp but I try not going to doctors and wasting their time. 

Things help to distract me but like you say, once you stop, it all comes back again. It's very hard. 

I watch movies to help me fall asleep, I need some sort of noise otherwise I can't sleep. 

Dear Guest7817,

Please don't worry about wasting your GP's time. That's what he or she is paid to do. They may be able to help with medication or a referral to a counsellor or psychologist. You seem to have made every effort to help yourself so you deserve help from others.

With regard to insomnia, if you google  'progressive muscle relaxation' you'll find some recordings that might help. 

Please keep in touch. We are here to support you and to help you find more peace and relaxation in your life.

Warm regards,

Richju xxxx