FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Chest pain

Glenncoco88
Community Member

Hi everyone

im just finding it weird that I’ll wake up with discomfort with chest pains. Like I’ll move my body and the top of my chest hurts. I’m guessing it’s from my anxiety as I went to the hospital to check it out and they said I’m healthy but I’m just finding it weird to be waking up with this pain.

Any suggestions or ideas why this is being brought on when I wake up?

18 Replies 18

Pip20
Community Member

I truly feel like I wrote this post myself. I suffered from this for months, and every time it happened I freaked out which of course caused more anxiety.

I called the ambulance and went the ER, they did the usual tests, not a heart attack, and sent me on my way, so I went to my GP, and she wanted to give me piece of mind, so I got a full cardiac workout (running on the treadmill, cardiac echo etc, all good.

So next plan was a mental health plan to help with my anxiety, and my psychologist was great, and I use her words each time I get a little pain and freak out "I may not feel OK, but I'm OK" My anxiety was health related as well as noise anxiety.

My GP was a blessing, she work with me to eliminate those concerns and then helped with the referrals.

I would be in bed, and get "that pain" and then tingling all over my chest, and panic would start. So I would start saying my psychologist's words and it helped me calm down. It doesn't solve the problem, but it helped me get to a point where panic was overpowering me.

I was useless at meditation, it just didn't work for me specifically, so to help me during the day, I would make time to spend outside, even just watering the garden, anything to get me outside, as I have a job that requires me at my computer all day.

I still have a long way to go, but I'm getting there, so all the best to you.

PS: I also get a different pillow and a thick memory foam mattress topper as sleeping was causing issues and some of the pain, I was pinching a nerve and causing me to wriggle ALL night.

Thank you for your experiences.

yeah I just find it weird I’ll wake up with the discomfort around my upper chest area but within an hour of being awake it goes away so I really don’t know what’s happening with I’m sleeping.

I find it hard to meditate as well. I feel it works while I’m listening to it but if I practice it at different times through the day it doesn’t work.

I am going to see a psychologist next week so I’m happy that I might be able to get some new tips to help with it.

It’s very hard to switch my mind off once I feel a strange twitch or spasm in my body. My mind goes straight to something heart related.

100% get what you are saying when you say "It’s very hard to switch my mind off once I feel a strange twitch or spasm in my body. My mind goes straight to something heart related."

This was exactly me, my brain went straight to heart problem, but after getting everything checked we (as in GP) actually think it is muscle for me, and I tend to sleep with my arms above my head which is stretching me in weird ways. LOL

Glad your appointment is next week, he or she hopefully can help you specifically, because if you are waking up and not going back to sleep for a couple of hours, this will cause even more problems as you will get really tired and fatigue will set in.

All the best 🙂

Thank you and I hope so as well.

it’s nice to hear stories that are the same so you know you aren’t alone.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Glenncoco88~

You are right, there are many who have experienced similar pains. I have been to ED twice, had all the tests up to MRI and all came back negative. It is hard to accept but no matter how difficult I've finally accepted they are just another of my physical reactions to my anxiety and other conditions.

It is excellent you have been tested thoroughly, without that the feelings can point to a genuine problem. As it is when I experience them now -as a result of stress - they increase my stress levels more. Not helpful:)

Croix

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Glenncoco, I'm sorry for this discomfort, one point that hasn't been asked and maybe will by your doctor/psychologist is what do you do during the day, exercise, happen to move heavy furniture or lift items inappropriately, sorry just asking.

You can buy these elastic bands that stretch your muscles, in your chest, arms and legs that might help you.

Geoff.

Geoff.

I used to do heavy lifting work for 15 years but I’ve gone into an office role now but it could be long term damage caused by that but I’m thinking it’s my anxiety because it’s only been happening for the past week or so every morning I wake up and within an hour, it’s gone. The only thing I’ll feel through the day is the spasms, heart palpitations and that

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Glenncoco,

I have been thinking about your chest pain in the morning and just thinking if you have has a sleep study done at all...I ask this because your chest pain is generally in the mornings after you wake up...and a sleep study might pick up something that may be happening in your sleep...ie: laying constantly in one position...Which when I do my leg and hip hurt a lot....or your body tensing up when you’re asleep...(not fully relaxing)...maybe you could ask your Dr..about having a sleep study done..

Also I’m wondering if you gave the sleep stories I mentioned earlier a try....and how you went with them if you did...

My kindest thoughts dear Glenncoco,

Grandy..

I might ask my GP about a sleep study because yeah I have no idea what’s causing it. It’s so bizarre. I haven’t tried the sleep stories as yet