FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

chasing my tail

MissyA
Community Member
Hi I am a newbie. I have been suffering from headaches and nausea on and off for 3 months. The headaches  and nausea has caused me extreme anxiety to the point of not being able to function and look after my family. I have been seeing a physiologist and have just recently been put on medication. I just dont know where I am at and in such a rut.I feel so guilty not being the mum I should be. 
4 Replies 4

Zeal
Community Member

Hi Missy,

Welcome to the forum.

You don't deserve to feel guilty for being hindered by physical pain. It sounds as though you are doing your best to get better, as you have already sought professional help and have reached out on this forum.

I used to get nausea and headaches due to neck and muscle tension. At the time I didn't realise this. As the muscles in your neck are connected to those in your head; tightness, "knotting" or stiffness here can cause pretty painful headaches. Sometimes the headache will feel like a large cluster of pain over a big surface area, and sometimes there's a specific point of tension/pain.

Your headaches and nausea may not be the result of neck pain/tension. Your physio has obviously already diagnosed you, which is great. Hopefully the medication can help with the pain. You could try having a therapeutic massage. The one I have once every few months is $80 per hour, which isn't cheap, but it is definitely worth it. Also, you will probably get some money back through Bupa or another healthcare provider.

I am someone who tenses up my body frequently, without even being aware of it. Í think I also do this in my sleep sometimes. Anyway, therapeutic masseuses can get rid of nasty build ups of tension in your body, which is really beneficial, and prevents a long-term build up of severely tight muscles, which are then more difficult to treat. So my point is this: therapeutic massages are awesome. Alternatively, you could ask your physio for separate massage sessions. I got a few of these for free from my physio thanks to healthcare rebates 🙂

I hope your pain gets better soon.

Best wishes,

SM

MissyA
Community Member

Thanks so much SM for your post. I will really look into the massage.

I have just made an appointment to see another Dr just to satisfy myself I guess to make sure that something is not being missed and to get another opinion.

I am just really really struggling with it all and I know that I am contributing to the problem but just cant seem to find a way out of it.

I am trying hard to put on a brave face for the sake of my young boys when I just want to hide under a rock.

Hello MissyA

Just a quick observation. I had incredible headaches and pain in the base of the skull. A casual remark to my dentist led to him asking if I felt any pressure behind the eyes, which I did. After checking the neck muscles he told me I was clenching my teeth in the night which was causing the pain.

So he made me a sort of mouthguard. Well that sort of material anyway. It fits over the two top, front teeth at night and prevents the jaw from clenching. This has stopped the headaches and neck pain and it worked quite quickly. I suggest you have a chat to your dentist.

By the way I also went to a physiotherapist who used the usual releasing treatment which did help but the dentist's treatment was the cure.

Here's hoping

Mary

Thanks White Rose, i have noticed myself doing that and waking up in the morning with sore teeth. I have a visit booked in for next month so I will discuss it with him then appreciate your help