FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Brisbane weather

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

I am writing to you from Brisbane. Know that I am safe but I know many who have been flooded or near to being flooded. The worst part right now is knowing when it will end. There are moments when the rain softens and then comes down harder than before. And all we can do is to wait it out. My kids and wife are watching different video streams. Guess that is there way of coping.

I just wanted to get the thoughts out.

20 Replies 20

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you, James.

In 2011 we lost power in my area, only for 18 hours, but it was enough for us to to crank up the BBQ & at least have some of the meat which would soon be spoiled. Back then, I had a fridge which was not automatically defrost, so I had a big ice block in my freezer.keeping my meat frozen, but much longer & even this would have melted too much & my meat would have spoiled.

& I had better neighbours then, too. So we had a great time that afternnoon, & two hours later, the electricity came on again!

This time, no power loss here at all. I know other places have, & because we rely on having power so much, it is very difficult when you don't

We, in these flats, are also lucky to have gas hot water.

Truly, (except for many current neighbours) I am in a very good location. If my old memories remain minimal, I'm fine. If I find I am struggling too much with them, I have my PDr. (& I am sure, where he is located, he will be okay, too), who I can call & talk to.

mmMekitty.

I went through the Brisbane floods in 2011. Although I am not in Brisbane now, I am feeling quite triggered by watching some of the footage on the TV.

Hanna3
Community Member
I hope you are OK there Smallwolf. Lismore looks terrible on the news - some wonderful people are helping as best they can rescuing people who have been stuck in the floodwaters. Thinking of you!

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Pandemica,

I have been aware I may be triggered by footage of floods, (for me, it was 1974, when I was a young teenager, in Ipswich & events surrounding that). I realise, for my own mental health, I have chosen to not watch the news as I once might have. The brain seems to accumulate everything coming in, & if I was watching the same news story a dozen times, my brain reacts as if it was a dozen seperate events, or a much larger event than was being reported. For this reason I stopped watching so uch about COVID too. I limit my exposure to distressing news very much now. I find whatever info I am in need of, but after that, I must let it go. If there was a way I could help, it might be different, because part of the problem is feeling helpless to help anyone out there. This is true for all sorts of eventstaking place anytime, anywhere around me.

What does watching the news do for you? Has it helped or made you feel worse?

All the best, wherever you are.

mmMekitty

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey mmMekitty,

I'm glad to hear you have support if you need it. It sounds like the 2011 turned out to have a nice little silver lining to the experience!

James

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

I found the news yesterday was more of retelling the same story over and over. Not to say it didn't serve a purpose but appeared more of voyeurism. And watching street after street with water does little for the soul.

@kitty - you have lived through a bit since '74 then!

Second day of sun here. They were expecting more rain towards the end of the week.

Where wife works is still under. I don't know where the ACA is located, they are also under a lot of water.

Water water everywhere...

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Those news items wouldn't be so bad if we could get out there & help. That's what gets distressing to me. I think 'voyeurism' is a good way to describe it. & as for opportunistic looters/thieves, what I'd like to say about them won't get published here.

I reckon the clean up, when the house isn't all swept away by the flood water, but is filled with mud & many things are damaged, & all has to be removed, would be so heart-breaking. We didn't have so much clean up, because there was so little left to clean up, but some folks will be weeks cleaning, months feeling things are back to 'normal', if they can. People are often so very shaken by the effects of natural disasters, I think that's why half the residents of the street where we lived in 1974 didn't return.

What I don't know is which decision more likely led to a better outcome?

I have spoken to my home helper, who can't come to my place today. She is home, cleaning. She has had rain water flowing into her home. Her hubby is away, so isn't there. She said some things will have to be thrown away. She has been cleaning for days, & says it looks no better, yet. I suggested she get the company she works for to send another of their workers to help - but she said she doesn't want help - she enjoys cleaning that much! I think she will be fine. 😸

mmMekitty

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Kitty,

On Cleaners ... You might have have something. The people that do the cleaning where I work have great pride in what they do. They do not like things appearing unclean and will clean and clean until it looks how they want it to look.

I know some people that gave up their businesses after the 2011 floods. Yes, these persons were near retirement age, yet it was too much for them.

Luckily my wife will be able to go back to work next week - at one of the sites. The main location is still under water and some parts needs have to be rebuilt.

People also want to help and unable to because they cannot get from the point A to point B due to flooded roads.

Oh, and dealing with insurance today on top of other things today was maddening. (Tomorrow is also ash wednesday and one of my jobs is to make sure everything is prepped.)

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Glad yo hear you are OK SW.

my cousin & his wife lived in a caravan by the river. They've lost everything. Van, car no phone reception or WiFi, & no power for 2 days. Their daughter's 3 boys lost their cars.

It is so sad. I cannot begin to imagine...😔

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

I feel the pain for those who have been affected by this, it's unbelievable.

Have contacted 2 couples I know who live around the areas affected and fortunately, they are all well, thank goodness, but to have all your belongings and loved treasures destroyed by these floods is absolutely devastating because they can never be replaced.

My heart goes out to you all.

Geoff.