Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

D Walsh Feeling good and trigger
  • replies: 7

Hi all, just wondering if anyone else finds that feeling good can trigger anxiety?? I know it sounds silly but I find that when I get back on top of things I seem to increase the self checking which ultimately talks myself back in to a spiral. I am d... View more

Hi all, just wondering if anyone else finds that feeling good can trigger anxiety?? I know it sounds silly but I find that when I get back on top of things I seem to increase the self checking which ultimately talks myself back in to a spiral. I am doing EMDR work with my psychologist on it but still seems to happen.

Guest927 Imposter Syndrome???
  • replies: 9

Every time my closest friend tells me nice things to try and help me feel better, I feel like she's wrong and I'm the cause of it. I feel like i have and am still deceiving her into thinking I'm a good person/friend. I do all i can to convince her i'... View more

Every time my closest friend tells me nice things to try and help me feel better, I feel like she's wrong and I'm the cause of it. I feel like i have and am still deceiving her into thinking I'm a good person/friend. I do all i can to convince her i'm a bad person, because otherwise, I feel like I'm cheating and lying and denying her the truth. It's like I want her to hate me, even though that would be terrible. She was telling me how i don't just talk about myself, and instead talk about other good things with her. I wrote this to her (she lives overseas) "Don't lie to yourself like I ever actually engage in conversation about something that isn't just my issues and problems. Cause I could lie to myself, but I don't want to. Maybe it would make me feel better, but it's not true." I feel like a imposter, but when I look up imposter symptom, usually people feel this way but are scared about people finding out. For me, I feel like an imposter, and want the people i'm close to believe it too. But at the same time, I'm scared that when she does believe me, she'll just leave. I feel the consequences of both choices the same, it just hurts no matter what I do. I think this is in the right spot...it is an anxious thing right. Sorry if it isn't.

Janet_B Agoraphobia
  • replies: 6

Despite being a nurse I am so scared of catching covid 19. I looked after a man that had multi organ failure just as he became covid negative. I’m triple vaxed and my family is double vaxed. My state has been safe from covid 19 till the last few week... View more

Despite being a nurse I am so scared of catching covid 19. I looked after a man that had multi organ failure just as he became covid negative. I’m triple vaxed and my family is double vaxed. My state has been safe from covid 19 till the last few weeks since borders opened up. We now have a lot of cases here. I am so scared to go out anywhere. I had to go to the supermarket Christmas eve to buy some food and as soon as I walked in there was a huge line up at the check outs and people everywhere. I started to panic and nearly walked out but I knew I needed to buy food so I had no choice. As I was walking around the shop I kept on tearing up, luckily my mask hid most of my face. My daughter is due to give birth any day and I’m so scared of her giving birth on her own if we get it and also worry about the baby’s wellbeing.

BBUser76 What's the point?
  • replies: 4

What's the point to life? Why does it hurt so damn much even when you have tried your best?

What's the point to life? Why does it hurt so damn much even when you have tried your best?

Sophia1992 Why does my anxiety get better at night

So a bit of a backstory. I have a 14 month old daughter and since her birth during the pandemic i have had on and off feelings of anxiety however two weeks ago i feel like my world spiralled. i was sitting and chatting to a friend and suddenly felt l... View more

So a bit of a backstory. I have a 14 month old daughter and since her birth during the pandemic i have had on and off feelings of anxiety however two weeks ago i feel like my world spiralled. i was sitting and chatting to a friend and suddenly felt like i was going to pass out and panic began and i started hyperventilating. My friend had to call an ambulance and i had to stay for two days as they ruled out any serious conditions. Nothing major other than low iron, low vitamin d. since the hospital visit i have developed a fear of passing out and my days are now filled with panic to the point where my husband has had to take time off to take care of our daughter. My anxiety seems to be worse off in the morning and better at night when my daughter goes to sleep. I have started on anti-depressants and hoping to feel some kind of relief from this ongoing panic i feel during the day. I have never felt anything like this in my life. I’m confused as to why my anxiety gets better at night and worse the first thing i. The morning. Has anyone else experienced this? My doctor said it could be postpartum depression or even due to covid and not being able to have much of a social life. I’m so confused as to what led me to this point

Mikisjourney I got a dog a year ago and it still makes me anxious
  • replies: 3

I got my first dog over a year ago and I have felt an incredible amount of anxiety since getting it. I thought these feeling would subside as I got used to having a dog around but they haven’t. The stress is there everyday when I have to leave for wo... View more

I got my first dog over a year ago and I have felt an incredible amount of anxiety since getting it. I thought these feeling would subside as I got used to having a dog around but they haven’t. The stress is there everyday when I have to leave for work and even at night I worry about the smallest things, like what if he cry’s at night. I don’t know what to do as we have made the choice to get a dog and look after him for his life. my partner didn’t want a dog either so all the responsibilities are on me so I feel a tremendous amount of guilt for being so anxious everyday about it. thanks for reading

jenms bad day

Haven't been on BB for a while but really 'suffering' the last month. Always have depression but last couple of days feeling really anxious. Making me feel sick and spaced and weird. I am sure it is the time of year. I don't have family and i don't '... View more

Haven't been on BB for a while but really 'suffering' the last month. Always have depression but last couple of days feeling really anxious. Making me feel sick and spaced and weird. I am sure it is the time of year. I don't have family and i don't 'do' Christmas and normally i am absolutely okay with that but this year i can just feel it kind of looming. Friends always invite me to their house but i would never do that as i would feel like an intruder (regardless of the fact they are genuine and definitely wouldn't view me as that). Plus when i force myself to go out i like to go by myself so if i feel like i am about to 'crash and burn' that i can leave without affecting anybody else. There it is, todays state of mind!

GiGie Urgent help

hi I’m new. I just got the official diagnosis today of GAD and depression. It has basically confirmed my gut feeling. Already halfway along to the acceptance of the disorder. But breaking the news to my parents and in laws - Half of the anxiety over ... View more

hi I’m new. I just got the official diagnosis today of GAD and depression. It has basically confirmed my gut feeling. Already halfway along to the acceptance of the disorder. But breaking the news to my parents and in laws - Half of the anxiety over dealing with my family and there “advice”. No one understands my condition and background into the cause and the cause of GAD. How do I let them know gently? I’m not ready to tell them why. But they will ask. thing is I have a rare interlectual disability. So everyone try’s to help, and they do need to know, to a point. advice Needed

Redline84 Long time sufferer win anxiety,march 2021 though began with really strange sensations!

Hi everyone, Thank you all for the opportunity to post this thread! I've suffered with anxiety for many years, mainly fears of the unknown, failing, not good enough etc. My anxiety got worse when living at my in laws(2017-2019) for 2 years which deve... View more

Hi everyone, Thank you all for the opportunity to post this thread! I've suffered with anxiety for many years, mainly fears of the unknown, failing, not good enough etc. My anxiety got worse when living at my in laws(2017-2019) for 2 years which developed into this knot feeling throat - still present today when I feel anxious. March this year it all started with these cold patches around my left knee (very odd) followed by this string like pulling sensation bellow the knee cap as I walked(MRI showed nothing). Around 1 week passed and those symptoms disappeared but leaving this slightly redish patch around my knee which is now sensitive to warm water(goes slightly red) . Tingling started on my left foot soon after(lots of googling probably didn't help) and progressed to my calf leg hand arm & face(mainly on one side). I even developed an eyelid twitch on the left. Tingling on the right was present but mainly on right foot and right hand only. As I kept googling, MS was coming up quite a lot and knowing my mum has MS I convinced myself that's what it was! I also had severe hand numbing while falling asleep(nothing during the day), and a little on my toes. At this stage I went into panic mode and for weeks I had hardly any sleep thinking why I had all this numbness. My GP arranged for blood tests which all came back ok, also did a CT scan of my neck,nerve conduction studies, MRI of the brain & neck which discovered a bulged disc on my upper neck - however my GP, Oesteo & Chiro could not connect these symptoms results. Brain MRI also came back ok. I did see a Neurosurgeon but my symptoms almost disappeared by my appointment, neurosurgeon confirmed again these symptoms couldn't be linked to the bulged disc, describing it could've been a "viral phenomenon". I was symptom free(around 1 month), 3 months ago new symptoms started, again on the left leg - buzzing sensation on quad muscle while walking followed by left & right foot buzzing. I also developed an itch that happens when I rub my leg in one spot & is felt in another!(googling suggests referred itch). Hand numbness started also creeping in and now they're worse( only at night time). I've seen a Neurologist 1 month ago and he think it could be anxiety related as I'm apparently very aware of my own body! Seeing him again in Feb 2021 as he may want to do a few more tests. Thanks again for this long post! Hope it helps anyone out there with similar symptoms : ). I

BengoB Topic: Anxiety, but my only Symptom is Chest Tightness and Discomfort
  • replies: 1

Hi Everyone, Hope you all are well and I thank you for taking time out to read my post. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. My story starts about 6 months ago. At the time I was smoking a fair amount of marijuana, and it got to a point everyti... View more

Hi Everyone, Hope you all are well and I thank you for taking time out to read my post. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. My story starts about 6 months ago. At the time I was smoking a fair amount of marijuana, and it got to a point everytime I smoked my chest would get tight and feel uncomfortable. This continued until one time after smoking I actually had a heart palpitation, followed by a panic attack. At the time I thought it was a heart attack but later I discovered it was a panic attack. After this event my chest was very tight, and the sensation didn't seem to want to leave. Also in the time since I have undertaken every test imaginable, including ECG's, 24 hour halter monitor test, blood tests, stress test and even an ultrasound of my heart - all coming back with positive results. After time the constant tightness ended up getting a bit better, but after lockdown ended I had 2 big nights of drinking within a 3 day period, and after that my chest was incredibly tight for a week. Its hard to explain the feeling - it often feels really tight, and i can feel the tightness through to my back. It can also feel like my heart is almost 'airy' and I describe it as being able to feel a sensation of my heart in my chest. It is incredibly uncomfortable and stops me from getting on with day to day life due to my discomfort with it. Since this incident where it got tight for a week - it has been tight for the past 2-3 months with NO let up. It is constantly tight throughout the day and it doesn't seem like theres anything I can do to help it. I have quit coffee, marijuana (and all other forms of smoking) and drinking for the past 2-3 months but It is still not improving. I then seeked help from a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with anxiety and I started taking medication for it . I have been taking these medications for a month and noticed no change in the chest tightness. But it just doesn't make sense to me - I don't feel anxious. My mental state is clear and I feel fine in that regard, but my chest is constantly tight - essentially 24/7. To me I couldn't imagine a worse symptom of anxiety, and it makes me confused when my emotional and mental state doesn't match up with my physical one. It is really ruining my life, holding me back from being with my friends, working, doing university work, and even exercising due to the intense discomfort. Again, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.