FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

anybody share this experience?

kristine434
Community Member

Hi everyone

Ever since a major change in my life 10 years ago I've adopted a new way of living. I have started to live with chronic hypervigilance but I wouldnt say its from PTSD because I havent really had anything traumatic happen to me. But I have read hypervigilance can be caused by extreme anxiety not just PTSD. Ive adopted a jump response when anyone touches me without telling me prior that they will touch me. This is what I believe: as a consequence of living with this chronic hypervigilance I shut down whenever a new pressure is applied or something new comes into my life be it work or study. It makes me crash down in exhaustion like I can't tolerate the extra stress. I then withdrawal from everything and everyone. This has begun to affect my life and is only making my life worse and makes me feel so alone. Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

1 Reply 1

uncut_gems
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi kristine434,

Thanks for your post. I have *absolutely* experienced something very similar to what you are describing– I describe it as feeling not at all resilient, like if the world were to throw me even one more stressful thing I wouldn't be able to cope and I would just shut down. I feel like I live in constant fear of whatever that bad thing is happening. Because the bad things seem to come out of nowhere, and are things I hadn't thought of, I try to think of as many bad things as possible in the hope that that prevents them from happening.

It's a totally maddening way to live, but one that is possible to get some control over. Through going to therapy and doing a lot of practice I have started to be able to let go a bit, and realize that I just have to let whatever will happen happen and that I don't really have any choice but to be resilient. It's like the pandemic– if you told me last year I would survive a crazy global pandemic I would tell you no way and that would ruin me psychologically. It's been difficult, but here I am. What I am trying to say is that even though it feels helpful and protective, the hypervigilance is only a source of pain.

Do you mind my asking if you have talked about this jump response and anxious feeling, like a GP or a counsellor?

Best,

Gems