FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety that's overwhelming

Weldermate
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find ways to not feel overwhelmed and panic about things.im a over thinker about pretty much everything. And for the last week it's about going to work. I love doing my job and I don't get why it's overwhelming me about going or doing it. I've been working there in the same place now for 10 years and this has only started to happen about 6 months ago. I had a bad rash that made me panic really badly. And now even the smallest things can set it off. I need to see someone about it but I've been told by friends that this could help as well. I'm every quick to stress about things and need help on ways to work around dealing with it. Thank you for your support.

5 Replies 5

Mk2692
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Weldermate,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this. I'm not sure if you have seen a professional in regards to this, but if you haven't I would suggest to see a professional such as a psychologist or counsellor. You can ask your GP for a referral. In the meantime reach out to family and friends and let them know what you are going through, you might find comfort in talking to someone. I think the rash may be due to stress if you feel that occurs when you are stressed. I would recommend to see your GP and see options available for treatment. I don't know if you do any relaxing exercises such as deep breathing, but you might find that useful when you are overthinking and overwhelmed. Hope that helps.

Thank you for your reply.

The rash was for a lergic reaction to something at work. But the main concern is the panic attacks that I've been having since then. I will be following up with my gp and I have tried the breathing method. But it still seem to overwhelms me. I also have trouble sleeping because I can't stop thinking of what if and why does this happen. Everyone goes through things in life but what are ways to make them things easier to deal with

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,

I just wanted to jump on and say that your feelings are totally valid here, especially with anxiety. You are not alone.

My anxiety when it flares up causes me to be like this too - things that previously/normally wouldn't be an issue suddenly are..a massive issue...and it is scary because there is no reason for it other than a chemical imbalance in your brain..and you know what's great? An imbalance can be balanced again.

The way I get my brain to balance and my anxiety to calm is by seeing a psychologist and practising CBT. This therapy is very common and helpful as reducing symptoms of anxiety and getting those chemicals and neurotransmitters balanced again and then you feel better about what was causing you to worry and think "why did I worry? I don't need to worry about it!". Medications can help too. I haven't had my anxiety flare in years because of the techniques I know, but everyone is different.

I would start by seeing your GP and getting a mental health care plan, a psychologist can assess and determine what might help you.

Stay strong,

Jaz.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Weldermate,

Wellcome to our forums!

Im sorry you are feeling this way I understand.

I had severe anxiety OCD this condition was very overwhelming the anxiety that accompanied it was severe.

I have now recovered from this condition thanks to the professional help I received.

My recovery started from seeing my gp we did a mental health plan together and I was put on a antidepressant to help manage my anxiety I also saw a clinical psychologist and and a psychiatrist.

I’m not saying that you have OCD it’s something I was diagnosed with .

Please talk to your health professionals so you can find treatment that works for you….

I understand it’s hard but hang in there.

Hello Weldermate, there are reasons why this is happening so please ask your doctor about the 'mental health plan', this allows you to get a Medicare rebate for approximately 6-10 sessions with a psych per year and may start the help you need.

With not being able to sleep, turn on the radio, mobile phone or a tape of the music you like to listen to, this distracts the thought of being able to think and will make you sleep.

It's this distraction you need to take your mind away from those thoughts.

Geoff.