FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety is ruling my life.

xristine
Community Member
Hi everyone, this is my first post and would love to gain some advice from anyone who has or is going through the same thing as I.

Lately I have been feeling so anxious and nervous about every day life. Recently I took 2 sick days off from work, because my job has been really testing my anxiety. I'd find myself waking up at about 6:30am each day before work and I would wake up to sweaty palms, a beating chest, jelly like legs and a blocked nose. I'd wake up feeling so nervous and for no reason at all. I'd try to lay there to relax but it just gets worse.

When I do get out of bed, I start tic coughing which I've found that I usually do when I'm feeling nervous. I would then start to clear my throat a lot, even though I had nothing to clear. Then my mind would start thinking about it and then I'd start coughing so hard that I start to dry heave. This causes my panic attack to take over and then I feel doomed. My body shakes and I feel that I would throw up all because of the anxious feeling I have when I wake up.

Apart from work, I don't have anything else to be worried about. Last week I was fine, but this week I have been a wobbly, coughing for, dry heaving, exhausted human.

I feel at times that keeping my mind busy would settle the nerves and worry but I don't know how that works when clearly my brain is making me think of things that causes the stress. I literally look forward to sleeping because that's when my body is naturally tired and calm.

Any tips of on how to stop your mind from waking you up in a worry and how to stop nervous coughing?

Thank you,
X
1 Reply 1

Eliseee
Community Member

It sounds like maybe a job change would help. Has your anxiety only just come on with this job or it’s always been there? I’ve found with anxiety there are triggers and once you find out what those triggers are you can come up with strategies to help. I tend to get fidgety and stress a lot for no reason at all but I’ve always found doing the things that make us nervous and are a little out of our comfort zone makes us stronger because they usually aren’t ever as bad as our minds made them to be. Excercise also helps a lot and unfortunately for me I had to turn to medication but it has helped a lot but it is not a fix.

You’ll be okay.