FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

anxiety is hard

Nadselise
Community Member
Hi, I'm new.  I have general and social anxiety. I like to tell people about my anxiety as I have learnt so much, and still it continues.  My anxiety was diagnosed in 2010, my son had just turned 1.  I'm currently seeing my counsellor for the 2nd time, first in 2010, started again last yr.  New routines are hard, and I'm currently going through my son starting school.  Today I'm not going so well, but I got him there and that's important to me.  I don't like crowds of people.  To me living with anxiety means I can and have learnt so much about me.  I understand my thoughts and whether they are helpful or unhelpful.  A lot of the time I feel scared, but I put myself out there.  Last year I volunteered on the Kinder committee as Treasurer, did fruit duty, and I attended both out of Kinder excursions.  In December I had 7 Christmas parties in a week! Massive effort, and I did a lot of daytime napping, simply from overstimulation.  When I was first diagnosed in 2010, I barely left the house once a week.  Today I simply sat and read a book for 2 hrs.  Diffusion is not working today, most of the time it does.  I also like mindfulness and have done CBT.  I'm slowly reading through The Happiness trap, slow going is required.  I wish I could put my finger on it and squash anxiety out of my life, but it's here and I'm working on it and I'm a better parent for it.
2 Replies 2

Zeal
Community Member

Hi Nadselise,

Welcome to the forum!

You seem very in tune with your mental health and your emotions. Most posts I answer involve giving lots of advice about what to do and how to get help. You seem to have already done the hard yards - that's awesome! In my opinion, you seem to be handling your anxiety and stress really well. It's great that you are involved with your son's school and volunteer your time for others. Reading has been proven to actually help with stress, so keep on reading when you have time.

I have also done CBT for my OCD, but I wasn't totally committed. I hope you had some success with that. I haven't read The Happiness Trap. If you're looking for more books like that, I'd recommend The Good Life by Hugh Mackay, and Inspired Destiny.

Keep seeing your doctor, and well done on handling everything so well 🙂

Best wishes,

SM 

Nadselise
Community Member

Hi SM, thanks for replying. Yes knowing where to get help is half the battle, I started with the GP, went on a mental health plan. There are days when I wish it would click all into place. Most days I go well now, back in 2010 I wouldn't have many good days in a month. I like to walk, exercise helps. Also finding time for me to do the things I like. After a lot of practice I can shh my brain at night, just be saying shh. I've met people I like who live with anxiety just by talking about it.

Defusion works well for my anxiety. You do need to work on it.

Keep trying SM.