FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

anxiety & hyperventilation

Rikka
Community Member

does anyone have constant hyperventilation, where you need to force yourself to breathe or else you'll feel like it'll stop\

yep.

also have a good day 🙂 you can do this!

52 Replies 52

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Rikka and welcome to our forums

Yep, I know what you are talking about. It's great you've found your way to our community. You're not alone as there are some of us who've experienced anxiety and hyperventilation.

Maybe some information might help, if you don't already know.

Hyperventilation literally translates to "over-breathing." Contrary to popular belief – and contrary to the way it makes you feel – it is not the act of getting too little air. Instead, hyperventilation is the act of exhaling carbon dioxide too quickly, causing too much oxygen to enter the lungs and an imbalance of the two within the bloodstream.

There are many different things one can do to help however, it is important that finding out what a doctor recommends. Have you seen a doctor about hyperventilation and anxiety?

Focusing on your breath can worsen the hyperventilation, however, there are some thoughts that retraining your body to breathe better may help to reduce the hyperventilation and anxiety by:

• diaphragmatic breathing - This involves breathing deeply into the stomach rather than the chest. This method of breathing is less shallow, which should decrease hyperventilation risk. Take 20 minutes every day to practice breathing in slowly, right into your stomach. Try to make sure your stomach expands first and your chest second. It can help to visualize a balloon inflating and deflating within your belly as you breathe in and out.
  • yoga - Yoga teaches diaphragmatic breathing in a way that is more interactive, and the added athletic benefit can be useful for controlling your anxiety.
  • walking - in general, seems to be effective at retraining your body to breathe. It's unclear how it does this, but since walking tends to put you in an ideal state for breathing, it's possible that you simply learn how to breathe more efficiently every time you walking until you pick it up long after you've stopped. Furthermore, walking helps to regulate your heartbeat. That said, exercise can serve as a trigger for hyperventilation, so talk to your doctor about the best strategy to see how this can work for you most effectively.

The above information was taken from the Calm Clinic website. If you are interested, do a google search for it.

Hope some of this helps Rikka

Kind regards

PamelaR

Rikka
Community Member
Thankyou so much. It's been very difficult these past few weeks but I am handling it the best I can. Will definetely use your advice. I had a physical examination and there is nothing wrong so that is great. I feel I am to focused on it as if I've forgotten how to breathe, but I know this isn't the case after a month of worrying. Thankyou again 🙂

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Rikka

Great to have you as part of the forum family!

I understand how awful anxiety and hyperventilation can be as I used to have it for a few years and its a scary place to be in for sure

Pamela has posted excellent advice/support above. The hyperventilation is usually linked to anxiety as you mentioned in your thread topic. People have various levels of anxiety that they deal with.

Can I ask if you experience any other anxiety symptoms, and if they have an effect on your day to day well being?

you are not alone

my kind thoughts

Paul

Rikka
Community Member

Thankyou so much! Through the constant hyperventilation, I experience bad headaches when I wake up as I cannot sleep properly, dizziness, heaviness, tightness in my throat and chest, feeling like ill stop breathing. Also nausea and in some instances can be vomiting. It interferes quite alot at school as I skip class as I feel suffocated in the classroom. However this hyperventilation thing is always there. It's scary and weird. It makes me feel so weak but on edge as I keep forcing my breath.

Thankyou in advance, Paul 🙂

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Rikka

No worries at all and appreciate the post back too!

The hyperventilation is a real pain to have....yet its only temporary. When we are tense or over sensitized our chest muscles do tighten and thus opens the door for this awful symptom that makes us 'over breathe'

I used to be prone to hyperventilation when I was in traffic and meetings....its was bad news. I saw my GP and she helped me out with it....over a few visits though....It can take some time to get over

You also mentioned sleep issues and the tightness in your chest.....These are scary feelings to have yet very common. Can I ask if you have a GP that you can have a talk to?

Even if you just print out this page and just hand it over to your doc/counselor they will know exactly where you are coming from. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by having a talk...

You have enough to contend with at school Rikka...results...expectations etc. Can you see a school counselor or a GP? You are one of many that has these awful symptoms....You are an amazing person to be as proactive with your health as you are....Nice1 Rikka

any questions or comments are welcome

my kind thoughts

Paul

Rikka
Community Member
Definetely! I have been talking with my school counselor and do have an appointment scheduled with a psychologist on June 3rd so I hope that will lessen it as it is frightening. Really hard to sleep. My GP isnt helpful as he doesn't take it seriously, so I go to a doctor somewhere else. But thankyou very much Paul! I was wondering what your techniques were as well in overcoming hyperventilation.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Rikka, thanks for coming to the forums and I'm very sorry for what you are having to go through.

Hyperventilation can include anxiety, fever, maybe some medications depending on your situation, excessive exercise, and emotional problems.

You need to do simple breathing exercises, not breathing in and out until you get to the stage where you might faint, but try breathing into a paper bag because the exhaled air helps your body put carbon dioxide back into your blood, rather than letting it escape.

It can happen when you're anxious and/or stressed for your hyperventilation.

Geoff.

Rikka
Community Member
Yep definetely. I think I'm mostly anxious about my breathing which is causing it tighten up, its so hard not to think about it when my throat is super tight and ribs are heavy. But I will try some simple breathing exercises, hopefully that will help 🙂 Thankyou!

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Rikka

Hyperventilation is very common...and here is some info that I hope helps provides some peace for you even though your GP/Psychologist can provide more detailed/qualified advice

• Breathing through your nose or through your mouth with pursed lips....(It does take practice)
  • Tight clothing doesnt help....It can prevent us from breathing properly
  • Avoid Coffee and/or Energy drinks....these are bad news with any level of anxiety
  • Before bed...avoid the mobile phone/ipad/laptop or TV for at least 1-2 hours...They only keep us stimulated
  • GP....even the doctor you have found....book in and make a double appointment and take this page with you
  • Anxiety.....once again....ongoing visits as you have mentioned above....and be blunt/honest with her/him
  • Food/Protein.....avoid after 7pm as it will only hinder the quality of your sleep
  • Slow down.....walk slow and think slow.....and your breathing will follow
  • Have a paper bag (as Geoff mentioned above) folded up with you as a support mechanism as breathing in and out of it for a few breaths will decrease your oxygen levels and thus reduce the hyperventilation
  • Have a couple of people that you can call in your phone for support....This is an excellent distraction from anxiety/hyperventilation...Just knowing you have a small support network is always a comfort even if you dont call them 🙂
  • This point is also handy...just knowing you have voice on voice support....I know you are not a kid yet our friends at the Kids Helpline are super caring and non judgemental....They have kind support available 24/7 every day of the year.....1800 55 1800....(no charge from your mobile or a landline)
  • Kids Helpline also have email counseling too and they check their inbox daily from 8-10pm counsellor@kidshelpline.com.au

You are a very proactive person with your health Rikka....Excellent effort in having your GP and a Psychologist already organised too...:-)

Today.....just be 'gentle' to yourself....

There are many gentle people on the forums that can be here for you too Rikka. Just a quick note....Our friends at the Kids Helpline are also non judgemental and your privacy is paramount. They provide wonderful support to young people up to 25 years old

you are not alone Rikka

my kind thoughts

Paul