FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety, how l eliminated it

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Its a very common topic on this forum, anxiety and its long list of symptoms.

I grew up in a highly strung household. Screams without notice and unreachable expectations...took their toll.

So when a major workplace event came along at 27yo my anxiety came to roost. Its peak was reached. I visited my GP and therapy commenced and lasted 12 months.

My therapist identified l needed the following-

Awareness of the severity of my anxiety

Reprogramming of my thoughts like thinking realistic thoughts

Stop worrying

Learning relaxation

Rehabilitated into a diffetent profession.

He was correct. Add to that, medication for 12 years to "help me on my way"

My change of career went from local law enforcement (where it was full of controversy) to a supervisor of adults with mental illness difficulties in a sheltered workshop.

Some years later a friend told me about Maharaji Prem Rawat and copied tapes of his speeches. My relaxation up till now was using muscle tensioning exercises at night, now l also listen to this fabulous man. Later I'd google his youtube videoes.

Maharaji sunset

Maharaji the perfect instrument.

And many more.

So what other measures?. Well l began to rid my life of toxic people, change my environment to the country, grow vitamin packed vegetables and fruit, revamp finances and utilise direct debit (less bills in the mail, less surprises) and increased my positive thinking by attending motivation lectures.

By 2012 my anxiety was no longer measurable. Yes 25 years. Do readers think it would only take a short time? Likely yes, because l did.

Like other ailments, a pill alone isnt enough, relaxation alone not enough and so on. Its the combination of many things that was most effective for me.

Undertaking a review of all facets of your life is essential for recovery. And dont be alarmed if you try something and it doesnt work. Eg Cognitive therapy didnt work for me but l read here that some have had success.

As it turned out in 2009 it was discovered l had bipolar2 depression and dysthymia. The same personal approach was made. Never give up, review my environment, review friendships, lower stress, lower debt, have a 5 and 10 year plan for goals etc

Sometimes subtle changes are needed like introducing a sport or hobby, sometimes radical ideas like relocating or career change. Whatever is needed put all options on the table.

Anxiety the mental illness deserves nothing less than your full attention.

What works for you.?

Tony WK

22 Replies 22

Hi everyone,

It's been a few years since I commenced this thread. I thought I'd provide an update.

A summary- anxious during my teenage years, didn't realise I was manic and depressed so didn't realise I had bipolar until 2003 but in 1987 had a major workplace event that caused a huge panic attack. Due to a faulty ecg machine was diagnosed with a heart attack and only after a walking monitor test 3 months later they realized it was a panic attack- heart was fine. I then embarked on many things to eliminate anxiety.

Fast track 25 years to 2011 and I remember the day- I no longer have any anxiety at all. I might get excitement, worry and other things but the chest pains were well gone as were the symptoms of the shakes and panicking.

Now it's another 8 years down the track and I'm still doing my "muscle tensioning exercises" before sleeping. I'm now retired after two psychotic episodes in 2013. The removal of employment stress and running a small business was taking its toll so- that had to go!.

Some things that I've included in my life that I avoided years ago are- comedy. Nothing like a regular laugh although being quite a serious individual by nature, I force myself to go to a movie for a good laugh. I've removed all toxic people from my life including, sadly, my narcissistic mother, niece and (real sad) my daughter. This might sound extreme. My daughter now 26yo is very much like her mother in temperament and uses silence as a tool to hurt me. Her mother did the same and after 11 years of emotional abuse I was forced to leave the family home after a suicide attempt. So, I cannot, with my conditions tolerate abuse....even from a child of mine.

Anyway, the tough decisions have been made. I have other family members I love and cherish and they me, I refuse to keep trying to work things out with people that play emotional games. I mention this for good reason- if you have anxiety or other serious illness and you struggle to tolerate abuse then protect yourself- you are entitled to a good calm happy life....get it!

All the best.

TonyWK

JacintaMarie
Community Member

Hi, 

I like your post, it is all true, you've gotta find your solution. 

I got another worry, now, what to do with life, should I try dating, or not, I don't know, I have heard that relationships aren't all that good

Thankyou for replying

Every relationship in the world and the individuals in them are unique and can't be compared.

I had 3 long term, 7, 11 and 10 years long that failed then married 12 years ago to a most compatible lady. 

So take your time, fully know the partner and ask yourself if the faults/flaws are tolerable before committing.

Good relationships are gold, no relationship can feel an emptiness that some are happy to live with.

TonyWK