FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety giving me hiding ATM

Dean07
Community Member

Hello everyone.

I'm self employed and in the process of moving my work to a new premises. I'm finding all the decisions around finding a place and sorting a lease very stressful. Also the logistic and purchasing of new equipment.

I have a history of anxiety over the the last 50 years. Sometimes I'm on top of it other times I struggle.

I'm currently seeing a psychologist to help. I've been seeing him for a while and he has been helpful in the past.

His current advise is to write things down and proceed based on the evidence, not on how I feel about it. How I feel about the event and how it turns out has historically been wrong most of the time. Most time things work out really well. I know this but I keep trusting my feeling over the likely outcome. The feelings are much louder and I find them impossible to ignore. (I'm not hearing voice just having thoughts).

It's as though I don't learn from the previous outcomes.

Does anyone have any suggestion for coping with the intrusive thoughts?

10 Replies 10

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Dean 07,

I understand intrusive feelings my feelings where generated by my intrusive thoughts.

I highly recommend you start meditation and do it regularly… and yes it takes practice but with practice you will begin to learn to be the observer of your thoughts…….. so when you say your thoughts are so ingrained you don’t really realise what they are meditation will begin to teach you how to observe your thoughts and you will begin to understand what is triggering your feelings.

Look for a guided meditation for learning to watch your thoughts……. When I first started meditation in the beginning I didn’t really understand what it was going to achieve but I did it any way because it was part of my therapy and the results at the end of practicing was unbelievable! It taught me so much I still meditate everyday and I believe it’s made me a more calmer centred person……… I believe meditation got my over the line for mastering my condition because I was able to sit back and watch what my mind was doing…… when I first started meditation I couldn’t keep my mind engaged in the beginning but that’s the whole point of meditation it teaches us to realise when our mind is wondering and being it back to the breathe……. Or meditation…..Honestly it can teach us amazing things ……

Have you been taught how to challenge your thoughts? This can come in handy when you find yourself wanting to see or feel how the new workplace will be.

Remember what we give attention to including our thoughts we give power to.

Try to practice positive thinking, I use to be a very negative person but through my journey I decided I didn’t like the way I thought about certain things or saw the world so I worked on changing my internal world.

I read a lot of positive affirmations every day it helps to re new the mind.