FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety and employment.

Beaser
Community Member

Hi and best wishes to everyone.

I was wondering how people cope at times with the thought of changing employment. I been in one job for the past 12and a half years in that time i have had mental health issues and they have been more than supportive and understanding especially with my needing time off. I m just feeling that i need a fresh start and have had a interview recently. The reason being i feel that my work is also affecting my mental health with having to put up with unhappy and disenchanted colleagues,basically workplace politics. Im really scared do i need to make a change or put up with the downside of my job. It has got to the stage where i wake at night and stress about going to work because of the politics and constant negativaty. The idea of starting a new job also scares me. Im just not sure of what to do. Brett

33 Replies 33

Beaser
Community Member

Thank You Patra.

I feel the same about work in that my life and aspects of it have been a major factor in how ive coped at work.

I havent finished where i am yet. Ive spoken to a trusted friend and he agrees i need to get out of where i am.

Im not going to rush in tomorrow and resign i just want to make sure i go about things the right way. Thanks for your reply. Hope you had a great Sunday.

Brett.

\

LadyPenny
Community Member

Hi Beaser,

thank you for your post about anxiety around changing jobs. I’ve been at my current workplace for 15 years and think it’s time to change but I’m also having so much anxiety and fear around it. I’ve been through 1 interview for a job which sounds like a really good fit and have been offered a second but am so anxious I can barely function.

Just coming here and seeing others are feeling the same is so so helpful and reassuring. Thank you for sharing.

Beaser
Community Member

Thanks For the reply Lady Penny.

Its certainly a tough call at times with work. I just dont feel that any job is worth the cost of taking the happiness from my life. Its been that way for a long time for me sadly. Happy to talk anytime. Brett.

Beaser
Community Member
Im so scared i dont know what to do. I cant handle my job any more and its tearing me apart. I have to leave i cant go on like this but im really scared. Surely no job is worth my happines. I feel so alone at the moment. Brett

Dear Brett,

We are so sorry that this issue is tormenting you and want to remind you that the community is here for you. We believe you should make the best decision for you; this would involve assessing a multitude of factors that are impacted including finances, prospects and of course the wellbeing of your mental health.

Have you discussed these difficulties at work with a HR representative? Is there a possibility of modifying your role or hours to reduce the strain on you?

Please remember if you feel you need to talk through how you are feeling or honestly do just need a chat, please contact Beyond Blue either via phone 1300 22 4636 or web chat: http://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/get-immediate-support

Please remember you’re not alone the community is here to support you face this fear and Beyond Blue counsellors are just a phone call away, should you need them.

Warm regards
Sophie M

Beaser
Community Member

Thank You Sophie.

I have looked into things regarding resigning and i feel it is what i need to and will do. If i dont i will just constantly stay on this merry go round of sadness. I have a very small mortgage and think i will be ok financially. No job is worth my mental health and it is taking my happiness and ive had enough. Its a big step as ive been there 13 years but the last six have destroyed my happines. Im scared yes but i hope its worththe pain. Thank You i hope your day is a good one Brett.

Beaser
Community Member
Thank You Sophie.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Brett,

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

“Whats for you always will be for you”…

Believe good things are coming your way.

Beaser
Community Member

Thanks Petal.

Thanks for your reply and words of encouragement .

I have actually resigned today and finish in a couple of weeks. I had a good chat to my team leader. She was very understanding and supportive of my decision.. She says she could see that i wasnt happy. I feel a weight off my shoulders . Yes im a bit scared and have up and down moments about it. Its just nice to have wrestled some control back in to my life. I was losing the light in my life there. Brett

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

That’s ok Brett and congratulations on coming to your decision.

Sometimes we have to let go of the past and by doing this it will allow all of the new and good things to come into your life 🙏