FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety and discomfort with doctors.

Natalie22
Community Member

Hi. 

My gp has been raising my mental health since the start of 2021 but has not really guided me I guess. It is my fault as I did not reaction well to antidepressants at the start of 2021 and made my feelings clear. I have rejected 2 MHTP just before they were due to be done. 

I did start seeing a mental health social worker last year but I felt worse after each appt. I  started seeing a psychologist in Feb and I do actually like him but not sure if it is helping or I am just not putting enough work in with his plans. Eg progressive muscle relaxation, mindfulness, sleep schedule and recently induced vomiting.

I saw my neurologist in Feb and the appointment did not go well . I think I was withdrawn and a bit all over the place at the same time. Pretty sure he wrote about my mental health and after that 2 random gps questioned me about my MH. The last time I saw my normal GP I told him about the 2 queries and he was just happy that they had read the notes. I told him that 'I know that I am stressed and I am an overthinker but my mental health was fine'. He said that it must be annoying yo be asked all the time and of course I said yes. I have not told him that I am seeing a psychologist as I fear the judgement but I may be making my situation worse by not mentioning it. I am afraid that he thinks that I don't have insight as I avoid the topic but I am fully aware of my short comings. I just don't know how to talk about it as drs make me nervous.

An inquest was done into my dads death and the findings came back in Jan and I think this has made it worse. I have my next appt with my normal gp at the start of July. I feel that I need to address my mental health and the fact that I am seeking help but I am afraid that I will be dismissed, pitied . I know my fears are probably irrational but I can't help it.

Sorry that this has been a bit disjointed and rambling but I have no one I can discuss it with.

Thank you for your time.

2 Replies 2

Caite
Community Member

Hey Natalie,

If I have learnt anything over the last 3 months it’s that sometimes seeking a new GP is better than the original one, if you do not feel comfortable with your current GP and how they treat you, it’s definitely time for a new one, I’ve recently just started my journey again with anti depressants and psychology and I definitely can understand that feeling of being embarrassed by the fact your mental health needs help, but, there’s nothing wrong with admitting and seeking help, I’m so proud of you for doing those steps on your own, all you can do is tell your GP and how they react is a character of their own personality. 

It’s always best your GP knows what’s going on too, I have learnt that the hard way recently too. Always be honest with them, they’re here to help us not judge us.

I hope you get the best outcome ❤️

David35
Community Member

Don't be afraid to look for a new GP. I had problems with one years ago. I was seeing a psychologist who my GP had recommended. The therapist ended up inferring that I was autistic, which I'm not, and consequently I stopped seeing him. Because I told my GP it wasn't working out, she got offended and blamed me for my anxiety attacks. "Well that's why you were supposed to keep seeing ..."  Some GPs are simply not very understanding when it comes to mental health and find it very hard to listen to your concerns. It didn't dawn on me until months later when I was speaking to a pharmacist and he simply said to find a new one.