FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety and depression and boredom

Mike33
Community Member

Hi my name is Mike

i left work 5 years ago due to my anxiety and depression. I am 67 years old. I have had anxiety and depression for over 50 years. About 2 months ago I felt the illness re-emerge. I cannot work out if it is the illness plus boredom. As I spend most of the day at home. I get terrible headaches and spend about 2-3 hours in bed as it is the only place that eases the headache. Any remedies or ideas would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Mike , welcome 

I'm the same age, got bipolar2, depression and had anxiety.

I've never been bored and that because I have several passions- tinkering, slot cars, train sets, creativity, inventions, this forum, building caravans, have built houses my last 2 years ago and I write poetry.

I had my last partner have issues with boredom... she had no interests. At counselling our counsellor confessed that a passion comes naturally, you can't simply say "I'll find a passion".

So the problem of boredom is bigger than it seems and the answer of finding interests must come from you.

Your headaches I suggest is a health issue best treated by your GP. 

As for anxiety it's a serious illness that can be overcome in some people.

Please google- beyondblue topic anxiety, how I eliminated it

And

Beyondblue topic the timing of motivation

I'm glad you made it hear.

TonyWK 

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Mike and a warm welcome to the forums. 

I was going to address the same things Tony WK has already. 

1. Can your GP help with the headaches? Possibly your GP could refer you to someone who could help via a Health Care Plan, perhaps a Chiropractor or such. 

2. Boredom. I see from Tony's post that boredom is a big problem for some people. 
Sometimes boredom is disguising "tedium" ie just doing the same things over and over day in / day out. 

As much as routines can help us with mental health issues so much, they can become tedious if they're not changed up a bit from time to time. 

Do you have anything to look forward to? 
Creating something to look forward to helps me a lot. No matter WHAT it is. A different kind of meal perhaps? 

I have far too many interests like Tony does lol. There aren't enough hours in the day! 

Hopefully other members who share your perspective of boredom could help support you more. 

Keep posting! 
EM

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

I can tell it must be very challenging for you. 

As you want to figure out it's your mental illness or boredom, please don't do self diagnose, it might be wrong. You need professional support, e.g. see your psychologist, or give beyondblue hotline a call.

Hope everything will be better.

Mark