FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anorexia Relapse

iconelcee
Community Member

I am a woman in her twenties who recovered from anorexia eight years ago. Although there have been times when I have felt stressed in my personal life, I have always managed to stay on top of my wellbeing and avoid relapsing following treatment for my disorder. Recently, I have noticed that my thought patterns are beginning to feel unsettling and I have increased my exercise. I had one day last week where I was unable to exercise and I felt anxiety due to this. Each time I look in the mirror I have this strong urge to lose weight and I am frightened that I am slipping back into my eating disorder. It has been so many years since I was unwell that the thought of possibly starting to experience those thoughts again makes me feel immense disappointment and stress. I was hoping to have some guidance as to what I can possibly do to prevent a relapse (or feelings of shame/controlling and obsessive thoughts around food and exercise). I do not feel comfortable confiding in my close friends of family, as I do not want to admit these feelings and inflict any unnecessary stress or disappointment onto them.

Thank you in advance.

2 Replies 2

Rumples
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi iconelcee and welcome to the forum.

Thank you sooooo much for being so brave and reaching out to us tonight. it's definitely a step in the right direction 🙂

Ok, Anorexia is a big deal as you're obviously well aware of. Have you spoken to your GP yet? This would be the first course of action I'd suggest. They can definitely get you back on the right track.

You mentioned "Recently, I have noticed that my thought patterns are beginning to feel unsettling and I have increased my exercise" . Do you feel something has changed in your life recently to bring on these thoughts?

Looking into the mirror and having urges to lose more weight is certainly a concern if you are already at your optimum weight. Do you feel you're over weight?

Your first course of action would best be speaking to your GP ASAP and being guided by their advice.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Your friend - Rumples xo

quince
Community Member

Hey iconelcee,

I'm really sorry to hear this is coming up for you again. Honestly, I feel like I could have written that post. I also recovered from an eating disorder about eight years ago, and have recently relapsed into old patterns of thoughts and behaviour.

If you feel able, I think it would be a really good time to see your GP, like @Rumples mentioned. Do you still see any of the professionals you dealt with when you were unwell last time? Or is there a doctor or similar that you feel comfortable to share your recent experiences with?

I spoke with my GP a few weeks ago, and he was really great about it, and is helping me to get on top of things. I hope you could have a similar experience too. I also spoke online with someone from the Butterfly Foundation, which was really good - I would recommend that service for advice and support, and it's online, so anonymous and convenient. Something the counsellor there said was that eating disorders thrive on secrecy, which I think is really true. So if you can share what's been going on with anyone, I think that would be the first step.

Thinking of you, and sending you strength and best wishes,

quince. x